Lucas Quinn: Former Kingsmen Now Cal Lutheran Strength and Conditioning Coach

Photo Courtesy of Lucas Quinn

The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee convened for the first time since the spring to discuss goals for the rest of the academic year. SAAC is a coalition of leaders from the university’s 22 sports teams who engage in community service and leadership initiatives. Pictured: Cal Lutheran Strength and Conditioning Assistant Coach Lucas Quinn trains student-athletes outside at a park in Thousand Oaks, CA.

Antonio Valle, Reporter

Before Lucas Quinn became the California Lutheran University assistant strength and conditioning coach in 2018, he was a four-year starter and team captain on the Kingsmen football team.ย 

โ€œI played basketball mainly, and then played football for my senior year. I ended up having a decent season playing football, started at cornerback, and gained some interest from some [other] colleges,โ€ Quinn said.ย ย 

Senior Madison Griess, who played on the Regals soccer team for four seasons, has been an intern for the strength and conditioning program since the fall of 2018 and started working with Quinn in 2019 to train the football and baseball teams.

โ€œHe is incredibly respected around the community and has lots of experience developing athletes at all levels,โ€ Griess said.ย 

Quinn is not only a certified strength and conditioning specialist through the National Strength and Conditioning Association, but he owns and operates Lightning Quick Sports Performance, a training center in Westlake Village.ย 

โ€œWhen my training sessions are done at CLU, I head to my training facility to train more athletes and clientsโ€”from youth to professional athletesโ€”for several hours,โ€ Quinn said. โ€œThe goal for them is the sameโ€”get faster, more powerful, more explosive, stronger, more mentally and physically robust and more resilient against injury for their respective sport.โ€

Quinn has trained athletes in sports all across the board including baseball, basketball, football, volleyball, lacrosse, soccer, track and field, hockey, tennis, softball, beach volleyball and golf, according to lqsportsperformance.com.

At Cal Lutheran, Quinn is the director of football strength and conditioning, and also trains baseball, menโ€™s basketball and womenโ€™s soccer.ย 

โ€œBeing able to coach alongside Lucas [Quinn] for the past several months has been an incredible learning opportunity for me, and Iโ€™m grateful for everything that he has taught me,โ€ Griess said. โ€œThroughout my time coaching with Lucas, Iโ€™ve seen the impact that has on our athletes and how he is able to help them reach their potential.โ€

While playing on the Cal Lutheran football team for four seasons, Lucas exemplified skills across the field, starting at four different positions, including cornerback, free safety, strong safety and outside linebacker.

โ€œLucas [Quinn] is driven, hard-working, and always looking to improve. He is one of the busiest people Iโ€™ve ever met, and he always gets the job done,โ€ Griess said. โ€œItโ€™s pretty remarkable how someone with so many roles to play can excel at every one of them and make it look easy. I have a great deal of respect for him.โ€

Quinn said his passion is working to develop student-athletes.ย 

โ€œThus, part of the job is the opportunity I have to make personal relationships with athletes, and hopefully turn that into a positive impact throughout their time at CLU,โ€ Quinn said. โ€œBecause I have been in their shoes, and in their environment, I think Iโ€™m able to connect with them in a unique way.โ€