Regals Basketball takes down Redlands in first game back

Ariana Salinas, Contributing Writer

The California Lutheran University Regals Basketball team held their first matchup in over a year Saturday, March 27 against the University of Redlands Bulldogs. They claimed their first win of the season, beating the Bulldogs 73-61.

The Regals shot 45.0% from the field and only committed 10 turnovers in comparison to the Bulldogsโ€™ 21, resulting in 21 points just from turnovers.

This was the first time the team was able to play since the end of their 2019-2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Since then they have brought on five new recruits, two of which made their debut starting for the Regals last night.

First-years Alyssa Maxey and Aliya DiMuroย started for the Regals and brought the heat Saturday afternoon. Maxey shot 80% from the field and 50% from the 3-point line, racking up 13 points. DiMuro tallied up 21 points, shooting 62.5% from the field, and was 1 rebound shy of a double-double.

“It was very nerve-racking and there was just a lot of anxiety leading up to it,” Maxey said. “As soon as we started playing, everything just went away and I felt more comfortable.”

First-years Izzy Flores and Grace Godines also got out on the court for the first time as Regals. Godines contributed on the offensive end, with 7 points going a perfect 3 for 3 at the free-throw line. Flores contributed on the defensive end of the floor, racking up 3 steals.

Flores said she โ€œwas nervous at first, but the chemistry of [the] teamโ€ made her first game as a Regal easy and fun.

โ€œIt was exciting, it was very nerve-racking at the beginning but once we got in and started playing, we got the hang of it,โ€ Godines said.

Naomi Gipson, the fifth and final freshman recruit the Regals brought onto the team, was not able to make her freshman debut and was sidelined due to a torn ACL that she has been rehabilitating since the end of her senior year at Westview High School.

Despite being sidelined her first season with the Regals, Gipson said sheโ€™s been able to still participate, even off the court.

โ€œIt was fun because the energy was really high and I got to lead some of the chants. As long as everyone is participating, and everyone is, itโ€™s great to sit and support everyone on the team,โ€ Gipson said.

The Regals are set to play their second of six games this season against La Sierra on Tuesday, March 30, at 6:30 p.m. in Gilbert Arena. The game will be broadcasted live on the CLU Sports livestream.