Intramural sports hosts The Cosmic Dodgeball Tournament

One+of+the+teams+have+a+brief+meeting+to+discuss+strategy.+

Photo by Ysabella Gonzalez - Reporter

One of the teams have a brief meeting to discuss strategy.

Ysabella Gonzalez, Reporter

On March 29 at 7 p.m. Intramural Sports held a Cosmic Dodgeball Tournament. Students had the chance to create their own teams to play in a tournament style competition for dodgeball. The event was coordinated by graduate student Intern of Intramural Sports Riley May.

May said her job was to plan the whole event, market it, and break up any fights that may occur. She said she had a good time at the tournament.ย 

Eight teams competed in total. The bracket style game had two teams face off in each match. The quarter finals had a total of four games: CLU Improv Troupe versus That Team, The Benchwarmers versus Supa Hot Fire, Bricked Up versus Average Joes, and Dodgy Style versus Balls in the Stack.ย 

โ€œWe actually had more teams, but they didnโ€™t have a full roster. But we had a pretty good turn out,โ€ May said.ย 

First year student Iris Torres who was a referee said they were there to help officiate the games, help set up, shag balls, make sure everything was running smoothly, and help clean up. The crew said they were more surprised and pleased with the turn out the event had.ย 

โ€œThere are way more people here than I expected, it’s awesome to see how many showed up,โ€ Torres said.

First-year student Noeloni Ramiscal who was another referee, thought that there would be more people attending.

โ€œI thought there was going to be more people, but at the same time I didnโ€™t know how many people signed up,โ€ Ramiscal said.

The second round only had two matches, as the winners from the previous four matches dueled it out. Supa Hot Fire versus CLU Improv Troupe and Dodgy Style versus Bricked Up.ย 

As the night went on, the referees said they were having more fun than they thought they would.ย 

โ€œIโ€™m so excited to be here, itโ€™s so much fun, thereโ€™s so much going on,โ€ Torres said.ย 

On the other hand, Ramiscal faced some backlash that comes with being a referee.ย 

โ€œTake it easy on the refs, we are figuring things out, weโ€™re doing our best,โ€ Ramiscal said.

The finals were between: Supa Hot Fire versus Bricked Up. In the end, Bricked Up won the match.ย 

โ€œItโ€™s good to compete, we like to win. Did what we had to do,โ€ said Dominic Lozano, one of the members of Bricked Up.ย 

Though the Cosmic Dodgeball tournament is over, there are many opportunities to participate in sport activities through out the year by signing up to join intramural sports. All you have to do is sign up online, as a team or a solo player to be randomly placed in a team.ย 

โ€œJoin more intramurals. I feel like there is a small amount of people who know about intramurals and they just donโ€™t participate, especially first-years,โ€ Ramiscal said.

The graduate intern had also said something on similar lines.ย 

โ€œFor intramurals, I want a fun area for people who donโ€™t always play sports, so they feel comfortable coming out and playing. Where itโ€™s fun, but still has that competitive side,โ€ May said.ย 

May wasnโ€™t the only one to advertise intramural sports.

โ€œA lot more first-years should get involved right off the bat, because that sets the experience for the rest of the years that you have here,โ€ Ramiscal said.