Mariachi ensemble commemorates Ventura County Supervisor with Campus Ministry

Ashley Cope, Reporter

The California Lutheran Mariachi Ensemble filled the Samuelson Chapel with music to celebrate the life of former Ventura County Supervisor Carmen Ramirez and Latinx Heritage Month.

To begin the service on Thursday, Reverend Scott Adams introduced the current V.C. Supervisor Vianey Lopez, who gave a brief remembrance of Ramirez. Ramirez was the first Latina in Ventura County to hold the title of supervisor and passed away on Aug. 12.

“The Latino community works with the Mariachi during, of course, times of happiness, you know we love to have mariachi and be happy–but also when someone passes, we usually have mariachi there. Either at the service or at the reception to comfort us, help us mourn and to celebrate their life,” said Maria Thayer, director of Hispanic Serving Institution and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Programs.

Rev. Adams welcomed the Mariachi Ensemble, who were all dressed in white, button-down shirts and black pants, with Will Zepeda being the lead vocalist for their first song, “Por Tu Maldito Amor” by Federico Mรฉndez.

โ€œI think it would be a lot nicer if we had our traditional trajes on, which are called charro suits, charro trajes, our traditional attire is a blazer, vest, with our embroidery,โ€ Andrea Mendez-Lopez, a first-year student in the Mariachi Ensemble, said.

Music Department Assistant Daniel Martinez adds that the trajes represent their culture and it is very important to have their suits, which they do not currently have, due to lack of funding from the music department.

โ€œI definitely feel like there is definitely representation of our culture and our people, which is nice. Itโ€™s nice to see that schools like Cal Lu represent us and honor us for our culture, our people, our food, everything,โ€ย Martinez said.

After giving his sermon, Rev. Adams reintroduced the ensemble to perform their closing song, “Los Laureles” by Jose Lopez, led by vocalist Margarita Resendiz. Resendiz sang while walking around the floor of the chapel, singing to different sides and engaging with the audience.

Mariachi Ensemble will be hosting its next concert on Thursday, Dec. 8, at 7:30 p.m. at the Samuelson Chapel.