Celebrating the end of fall semester with annual Let It Snow event

Photo by Kennedy Lum

ASCLUG President Greg Pimentel and Taryn Gaulke dressed up as Santa and Mrs. Claus to bring holiday cheer to Let It Snow.

Kennedy Lum, Reporter

The Associated Students California Lutheran University Government hosted their annual Let It Snow event. At the end of every fall semester, students celebrate the holiday season with warm food, snow and pictures with Santa.

Students lined up in hopes to go to the petting zoo, which was a new addition this year.

This year’s Let It Snow had many new installations like the petting zoo that featured ducks, goats and bunnies, and the Passion Empanadas food truck, but the event didnโ€™t have reindeer, which was a fan favorite of previous years.

The event started had food, games and for sledding. Senior Alexandra Infante, ASCLU Programs Board Representative who was lead for Let It Snow, talked about the rigorous planning process in making the park a winter wonderland.ย 

โ€œThe snow is real, we work with an ice company every year, and we have different vendors for different things, like hay bales and food,โ€ Infante said.

Infante said the food trucks at the event were well received, and students flocked over to try Passion Empanadas, who returned this year. Students had the option to either have food or visit the Makenna Koffee Company for something to drink while enjoying the festivities.ย 

Infante said she also helped pick who would be playing Santa this year.

โ€œFor Santa, we had a few different options, we thought that weโ€™d want someone that people would recognize and be excited to see,โ€ Infante said. โ€œSo we elected Student President Greg to be Santa.โ€

Infante said this annual event was a lot of work because it required a lot of collaboration between different vendors. She said they had to make sure that everything was done in a timely manner, but it was nice to see everything come together in the end.

Junior Allison Copley attended Let It Snow in hopes to get some free beverages and food with her roommates.

โ€œI think a lot of people come to these events for the food, but itโ€™s nice that Cal Lu puts in the effort to make students feel connected with events like this,โ€ Copley said. โ€œThey did a really good job of bringing winter to California.โ€ย 

Copley shared how the holidays are difficult for students who are away from their families. Copley said it snows where she lives and it was nice that she got to get a little taste of home at Cal Lutheran.

Copley said despite bad weather conditions, students would still show up to the event.

In addition to Copley, senior Beth Baker said Let It Snow has always been a fun activity for people in the Cal Lutheran community.

โ€œI am sad I missed this event last year, I came freshman year and forgot how cute it is,โ€ Baker said. โ€œI think it’s really fun to have something like this before finals to give students the chance to relax.โ€ย 

While the event was a success, and ASCLUG pulled of a great holiday celebration for everyone to enjoy, the event ended early due to poor weather conditions.

In addition to Let It Snow, Cal Lutheran will also be hosting the Arete Fall Concert, and end of year celebration and Let It Glow to bring in the holidays.