Ultimate Frisbee Club provides an open and inclusive environment for everyone

Photo by Sara Topliff - Reporter

According to Cal Lutheran’s directory, the ultimate frisbee club currently has 18 members.

Sara Topliff, Reporter

The Ultimate Frisbee Club at California Lutheran University works to create an environment that diverges from the sport’s competitive nature by welcoming everyone to play regardless of their playing ability.

โ€œOne of the things I really like about this club and I think that makes it a little bit different is that it is inclusive to all skill levels. People have been playing for years, some people it’s their first day out here, we love newcomers and we love to have fun. Thatโ€™s what we’re all about is having fun,โ€ Andrei Niemczyk, club president, said.ย 

Ultimate frisbee is a competitive, non-contact sport without referees. The game consists of two teams, each with seven players who work to either pass the frisbee or defend. The two teams compete against each other on a field where there is an end zone on each side. The objective of the game is to score points by catching the disc in the opponentโ€™s end zone.ย 

โ€œThere are so many people from so many different walks of life that come together just to play frisbee,โ€ Niemczyk said.

The club’s vice president Ethan Bozzi has spent two years in the club so far. He said he played ultimate frisbee in high school and wanted to continue playing, which is why he joined the club at Cal Lutheran.ย 

โ€œItโ€™s fun to be outside and be able to do a physical activity but still socialize and spend time with people who are there to have fun,โ€ Bozzi said.ย 

Since the Ultimate Frisbee Club meets every Friday from 3-5 p.m. on Memorial Field, the club provides members something to look forward to and an outlet at the end of the week.ย 

โ€œThe club has given me something to look forward to at the end of all my classes during the week. I get to come out here with some of my best friends and throw the frisbee around,โ€ Niemczyk said.ย 

Junior Brandon Owen has been a member of the ultimate frisbee club since the start of his sophomore year in the fall of 2021. He said that his favorite part of the club is having fun with the friends heโ€™s made.

โ€œIt was a good outlet for me to end the weekโ€ฆIโ€™ve met some friends that I can definitely see myself being close with for years,โ€ Owen said.ย