Kingsmen basketball’s winning streak continues

Jaylin Licup
Ze’ve Remer shooting a free throw, keeping both teams on their toes as La Verne hopes for a rebound.

California Lutheran Universityโ€™s men’s basketball team extended their winning streak to 13 games with an 80-69 win over the University of La Verne Leopards on Wednesday, Jan. 31.

According to CLUSports.com, the last time the Kingsmen played the Leopards was on Jan. 10 at La Verne, the Kingsmen won 72-69. The Kingsmen kept a gap in points throughout the game.

โ€œWell, before going in, we had a close game with them last time so we knew it was probably gonna be a scrappy game and we just need to come in and take care of business as usual,โ€ senior wing Riley Oโ€™Connor said. โ€œWe were all locked in or trying to get as locked in as we could and just looking for the task at hand.โ€

Oโ€™Connor led the Kingsmen with 17 points, senior center Tommy Griffitts totaled 14 points, senior guard Stephen Davis put up 12 points and sophomore guard Zeโ€™ev Remer scored 10 points for the Kingsmen.

โ€œThis game, I think, was just about us just staying locked in,โ€ Griffitts said. โ€œJust always the same mentality going into games like this. Just coming out with a W and just do what has to be done. Do what weโ€™ve game-planned for and everything will take care of itself.โ€

Griffitts, Oโ€™Connor and junior guard Nick Attanasio said the game plan they stuck to paid off.ย 

โ€œHonestly my teammates just got me the ball in the right position. I didn’t have to do much besides put the ball in the rim. So, I do gotta shout out all my teammates for that,โ€ Oโ€™Connor said.

Attanasio said that when the team watches film, Associate Head Coach Kyle Milligan helps players understand what the other team does, and gives comprehensive explanations which helps in translating it to the game.

Despite the Kingsmenโ€™s victory, Head Menโ€™s Basketball Coach Russell White said this game was not the Kingsmenโ€™s best effort this season but will learn from it to prepare for their next game against the University of Redlands Bulldogs.

โ€œEvery game offers different challenges. The team we play Saturday is much different than this team,โ€ White said.

Oโ€™Connor and Attanasio said that Redlands is an aggressive team that stays consistent every game by pressing on its opponents and getting up close to attack one-on-one.

โ€œI know theyโ€™re not happy about what happened last time so we know we’re gonna get their best shot. 100% on the court,โ€ Attanasio said.

Griffitts, Oโ€™Connor and Attanasio said the Kingsmen have goals this season motivating them with each game.

โ€œWeโ€™re all hungry. I feel like that’s the reason the season has gone the way it has,โ€ Attanasio said. โ€œWe’ve got good leaders on our team. People that know their roles and try to star in their roles. I think that all helps to being a good team. We have those places covered.โ€

This win adds to the Kingsmenโ€™s current conference record of 10-1 and their overall season record of 17-3.ย 

โ€œJust know that weโ€™re trying to get better every day. Weโ€™re not content with where we are right now. Weโ€™re trying to get better. We know we can be better,โ€ Oโ€™Connor said. โ€œOur goal is to make an NCAA appearance this year again. So we know we gotta continue to get a lot better if we want to be back in that situation.โ€

The following weekend on Feb. 3, the Kingsmen extended their winning streak to 14 in a 75-71 victory against the Redlands Bulldogs, the game capped off with two successful free throws by Remer. The Kingsmen remain at home for their next game against the Occidental College Tigers on Feb. 7 at 7 p.m.