Regals become the top SCIAC seed in win over Occidental

Owen Brown
Kaiya Mack drives towards the basket during the second period.

California Lutheran Universityโ€™s womenโ€™s basketball team secured the top spot in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Tournament with their 102-84 victory over the formerly number 1-ranked Occidental College Tigers on Feb. 7.

In their last matchup against the Tigers on Jan. 3 at Occidental College, the Regals lost a close contest, dropping the game 81-85.

โ€œWe were not gonna lose to Oxi a second time. This time it was gonna be different, we were gonna beat them no matter what,โ€ first-year forward Alline Ballard said.

The Tigers scored first in the first quarter off of a 2-pointer and a free throw. However, junior guard Sara Mills made sure the Tiger lead was short lived, responding with 4 points, giving the Regals a 4-3 lead. The Regals exercised a highโ€“pressure style of defense, giving the Tigers little chance to keep the ball in their half of the court.

โ€œWe really tried to work on getting three stops in a row, which is called a kill, and working on getting a stop-stop and score which is really important to us,โ€ Head Coach Kelli DiMuro said.

The first period ended with the Regals leading the Tigers 21-19, with both teams recording five fouls.ย 

The Tigers were the first to strike in the second period as they put up 4 points, giving them a 23-21 lead. The Regals responded with a 2-pointer from Mills, tying the game at 23 points. The Regals outscored the Tigers 29-17 in the second period and finished the first half with a 50-36 lead as well as a total of 10 fouls compared to the Tigersโ€™ six fouls.ย 

โ€œThere are 20 minutes, points can change at any time, that’s only seven baskets, so we had to stay locked in and no matter what, keep attacking,โ€ Ballard said.ย 

Sophomore point guard Janna Holley said defensive training and new defensive concepts were developed for the Regals during training sessions ahead of the match against the Tigers.

โ€œ[Training was] very intense, lots of defense, a lot of talking, new ideas and concepts. Last game I did not guard Toni Thompson, this time I did,” Holley said.

In the Regalsโ€™ previous loss at Occidental, the Tigers’ senior guard Toni Thompson was the current leader in points and led the game with 42 points. Ballard said Thompson was a key player that the Regals watched out for this time around.

โ€œWe switched our defense and didnโ€™t let Toni Thompson score as much,โ€ Ballard said.

At the start of the second half, the Regals switched gears from the high-pressure defensive strategy into a low block to maintain energy and their 14-point lead for the remaining two periods.

โ€œWe wanted to attack them coming into the game, but we got a little bit of tired legs and we wanted to make sure that we were playing solid half-court defense,โ€ senior center Aliya DiMuro said.

The Regals outscored the Tigers 26-24 in the third and fourth periods.

The Tigers struck first in the third period, scoring two successful free throws after a foul by Ballard. However, Ballard responded with a layup that returned the Regals to a 14-point lead over the Tigers.

The fourth period began with the Tigers scoring as well, closing the gap to 76-60. However, DiMuro responded with a 2-pointer to extend the Regalsโ€™ lead to 78-62.

โ€œWe are going to keep working on defense and rebounding, we know that is going to win us championships. So we are laser-focused on that, and we are going to fight to the end,โ€ Aliya DiMuro said.

On Saturday, Feb.10 the Regals beat the California Institute of Technology Beavers 64-61, leaving two games left in the season. The Regals have a home record of 10-0 and are one home win away from ending the regular season with a perfect home record. The Regals will travel to Whittier to face the Poets on Wednesday, Feb. 14 at 7 p.m.