Obbie West’s words raise sexual assault awareness

Jaylin Licup
Wellness Coordinator and graduate student Cari Monraz irons on a patch while customizing graduate student Nadia Fahmi’s tote bag.

Wellness Resources hosted an Awareness and Action week in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month on April 22-26. The event ended with a performance by Obbie West, a retiree from the United States Army and poet during the last Foodie Friday semester on April 26.

West said he travels the world as an educator and speaker and uses poetry to tackle tough topics such as rape culture.

โ€œToday we talked about rape culture and about sparking a self-assessment. Put some information out there that makes us look at who we are and make sure that subconsciously as advocates or people that don’t condone sexual violence, weโ€™re not unknowingly doing something that allows a predatorโ€™s job to be easier,โ€ West said. โ€œSome of our thought processes, some of the stigmas we live according to, some of the views that our community has conditioned us to live according to. Just make sure we look at those things and shed the ones that are unhealthy and hold on to the ones that are good.โ€

During the event, there were additional activities and tabling that included Interface Children and Family Services, information about Title IX, and an area for attendees to design their own tote bags. The tote bags are related to the empowerment and solidarity of those who have experienced sexual assault through art and advocacy.ย 

โ€œYou could have a conversation started with someone who’s not here today. So I leave this event and get on with my day but someone could see it and theyโ€™ll just talk about it and get the conversation started. Itโ€™s like a ripple effect,โ€ graduate student Nadia Fahmi said.