NEWS BRIEFS: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

Police open fire, 2 wounded
    According to the Associated Press, two police officers released gunfire on a man as he dodged cars on a busy Manhattan street on Sept. 14.ย  The officers wounded two bystanders.
    Police said the man pretended to have a gun, taking it out of his pocket and pretending to shoot at the police.
    The man was later identified as Gleen Broadnaz, 35, of Brooklyn.
    The officers who open fired on the man had been on the police force for one and a half years and three years, police said.

Control on Syriaโ€™s weapons
    The U.S. and Russia have reached an agreement to secure and destroy Syriaโ€™s chemical weapons, according to NBC News.ย  The deal will provide a hold on the threat of U.S. military actions for now.
    The deal โ€œrepresents an important, concrete step toward the goal of moving Syriaโ€™s chemical weapons under international control so that they may ultimately be destroyed,โ€ said President Barack Obama in a statement.
    If Syria fails to destroy the weapons, the U.N. Security Council will be notified.ย  It is still unclear as to what steps the Security Council might take, according to Secretary of State John Kerry and Russiaโ€™s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavro.

Colorado floods damaging
    According to CNN, rain continued on Sept. 15 in Colorado.ย  Authorities said it was unlikely at this point that they would be able to find people in hard to reach areas.
    More rain is expected, according to CNN. โ€œThe damage in Boulder County will need an estimated $150 million to repair 100 to 150 miles of road,โ€ said Boulder County transportation director George Gerstle.

Apple releases iPhone 5s
    On Sept. 10.ย  Apple unveiled its latest iPhone, the 5s and the 5c.ย  According to Information Weekly, the biggest question is whether or not the fingerprint scanner will be prone to hackers.
    The iPhone 5s and 5c are not for sale yet, but some insiders have gotten their hands on the new device.ย  Another question concerns the storage of fingerprints and access to those files.
    According to CNN, Apple has stated that they do not store fingerprints.

Zachary Kaija
    Published Sept. 19, 2013