Aspiring singers find outlet in campus organizations

The music ensembles at California Lutheran University provide a variety of outlets for student singers to exercise their talents. The CLU Choir is one outlet, with rehearsals Monday through Thursday, for an hour and 15 minutes each day. The Womenโ€™s Chorale is an opportunity for female students who want a less strenuous commitment, meeting only on Tuesday and Thursday for 50 minutes. While these two ensembles are ways to sing regularly, there are also other ways on campus to get involved with a musical group.

The ACLUpella Club is an a cappella co-ed group. The only instruments this group uses is their voices.ย  It was started in 2009 by former choir member Calvin Wiley, who graduated inย  2012.ย  The group mainly focuses on pop music although this year, they are doing a Broadway piece as well as some oldies music. Wyatt Morton, who has a doctorate degree in musical arts, is chair of the Music Department and is the faculty advisor for ACLUpella club.

โ€œI started to realize that there were some people who might not otherwise be involved in the music program,โ€ Morton said. โ€œThis might provide some kind of singing outlet for them. So, I think itโ€™s great.โ€

Senior Katie Hemming is the president of ACLUpella club. The club is involved on and off campus, with performances throughout the semester.

โ€œWe [will] perform [on] November 8 in the chapel, and if the World Fair is before that, we have that performance and then we do all of our Christmas performances,โ€ Hemming said.
    ACLUpella meets Wednesday and Thursday at 5:30 p.m. in Overton Hall. Interested students are welcome.

In addition to the ACLUpella Club, singers can join the Gospel Choir, which is organized by the Multicultural and International Programs office.ย  Run by senior Brianna Egeland, the choir is an opportunity for students to share a joined love of music. Daniel Lawrence, coordinator ofย  multicultural programs, is the faculty advisor and founder.

โ€œGospel Choir is a fun group of people who like to mostly sing gospel music, but theyโ€™re open to performance and jazz and whatever that music may be, but they just like to have fun and sing together. โ€ Lawrence said.

Nicole Pryor is the groupโ€™s director.

Pryor has a background in music and performance and recently finished working with a production of โ€œPhantom of the Opera.โ€ย  Lawrence said her influence drives โ€œthe heartbeat of the Gospel choir.โ€

Gospel Choir meets Wednesdays in Overton Hall from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.ย  The Gospel Choir performs on campus with a concert in the spring and all who would like to join are invited to come to rehearsals.

โ€œWeโ€™re asking for more folks from all walks of life to come on in and letโ€™s sing together, letโ€™s do this thing together,โ€ย  Lawrence said.

For inquiries about joining the Gospel Choir, email Lawrence at [email protected].

For inquiries about joining the ACLUpella Club, email Hemming at [email protected].

Sarah de la Garrigue
    Published Sept. 25, 2013