New meal plans aim for convenience

Whatโ€™s the plan?: The various restaurants on campus, such as the Centrum cafe, will now accept rollover meals with no time restrictions on when students can use them. Photos by Arianna Cook- Staff Photographer
    Whatโ€™s the plan?: The various restaurants on campus, such as the Centrum cafe, will now accept rollover meals with no time restrictions on when
    students can use them.
    Photos by Arianna Cook- Staff Photographer

There are now five meal plan options for students to choose, which include the 19 block, 15 block, 12 plus, 100 block, and 50 block.

It starts with the 19 block plan which has the most mealsย and the least amount of munch money. It ends with the 100ย block and 50 block which are composed of the most amountย of munch money and are geared toward students that live inย residence halls with kitchens.

Meals now rollover week to week. Students no longer need to use every meal within the specific time frames because those meals no longer disappear once the next week begins.

โ€œThere has been a 50% decline in meal plan purchasesย over the last two years and we knew that a change neededย to be made,โ€ Ryan Van Ommeren, Associate Vice President of Facilities, said.

There is also a fourth swipe option which is an additionalย time slot that a meal could be used. This gives studentsย leeway as to when they can use their meals throughout the day without wasting them.

Meals are still equivalent to $5.25, but this is one moreย alteration that Ommeren wants to look into.

โ€œStudents really appreciate the fourth swipe scenario more than any of the other changes,โ€ Ommeren said.

Ommeren also hopes that with the 100 block and 50 block options geared toward students living in Trinity, Mogen and Grace where kitchens are available, students will find these options much cheaper and can help students use their meals when needed throughout the week.

โ€œThese meal plans are much more convenient for students that have class all day and cannot make the time to get to breakfast, lunch and dinner within a specific time frame,โ€ said junior Lauren Blachowiak, intern at Campus Dining.

The options for meals do not only stop at the Centrum and Dining Commons, but can now be used at all dining locations on campus.

Mogen Market accepts meals for its โ€œPick 3โ€ combo, a deal where students pick 3 items to incorporate into a meal, while also accepting bonus points for the day-to-day shopping necessities. Meals can also be purchased at Jamba Juice and The Purple People Eater for students who are on the go.

Brystal Hood, a junior transfer, is satisfied with her choice of the 19 block meal plan. With this plan, she isย able to get the food she needs while on a busy schedule.

โ€œThis is my first year of having a meal plan at CLUย and I have no complaints,โ€ Hood said.

Tapingo orders are also available at the Dining Commons starting this year.ย Students can order meals on their smart phones with the Tapingo app and pick up their food. This is availableย at all dining locations on campus.

With the Ullman Commons opening in 2014, administration staff hopes to see an increase in satisfaction and purchases of meal plans.

Erin Chisolm