Sports Round Up

California Lutheran Universityโ€™s womenโ€™s soccer team and football team were both on the road this weekend taking on Chapman and Pomona-Pitzer respectively in SCIAC matchups.

The Regals came out victorious by a score of 1-0. The lone goal came at the 54-minute mark by the foot of freshman defender Elena Rust. The match was tightly contested throughout as both teams tallied the same number of shots, 14, and corner kicks, 4. Junior goalkeeper Kristin Bailey had six saves en route to her second solo shutout of the season. The Regals improved to 8-3 overall and 5-3 in SCIAC. They will travel to Pomona-Pitzer on Oct. 9 at 4 p.m.

The Kingsmen were also successful this weekend as they notched their first tally in the win column of the season. CLU trounced Pomona-Pitzer 42-7, making a strong statement to the SCIAC that they are still a force to be reckoned with. Senior running back Wayne Chapman led the way on the ground for the Kingsmen with 91 yards on 17 attempts and two touchdowns. Senior quarterback Cameron Deen had a strong showing completing 17 passes for a total of 238 yards and two touchdowns.

On the defensive end, the secondary was a huge part of CLU holding their opponent to the lowest point total of the season. Junior defensive back Matthew Arve recorded two interceptions and fellow junior defensive back Ed Davis got in on the action with one of his own.

The Kingsmen (1-2, 1-0) will be hosting arch-rival University of Redlands this Saturday, Oct. 9 at 7 p.m. The game will be played in William Rolland Stadium and has been deemed a โ€œBlackout game.โ€

Craig Jacobson