Men’s golf wraps up fall season

The past weekend concluded the men’s golf team’s fall season after participating in a tournament in Prescott, Ariz. The team placed fourth overall against some of the top teams in the nation. Headed by co-captains senior Mikey McGinn and junior Barret McGinnis, the team is optimistic heading into their spring season.

The season has been an exciting one with the incoming players bringing new energy and talent to the team. This adds to the success the team has had in the past two seasons.

“From what I have seen in the past two weeks of competition, I am confident that the new players will continue great golf and easily transition into their roles as Kingsmen golfers,” McGinnis said.

The past two years the team has competed at the Division III National Championship and the goal is to compete there again.  This year the team is ranked No. 13 in the nation at the end of the fall season. The team hopes to continue to build on that success into the spring.

McGinn is especially proud of the team, as well as the golf program as a whole.

“We have a great golf program here,” McGinn said. “We are a part of the strongest conference in the nation, which allows us to compete at a high level year and we are always in the running for a conference title and a National Championship appearance.”

The two captains said that the reason they chose California Lutheran University was because of the program and how impressed they were with the level of competitiveness. Head coach Jeff Lindgren was also part of the final decision in becoming a Kingsmen, according to the captains.

“I chose CLU because of the golf program,” McGinn said. “I wanted to play for a team that would always be in the mix for a conference title and a national championship. I was also impressed with Coach Lindgren and our assistant coaches.”

The team’s next tournament is the California State University San Marcos Invitational at Shadowridge Golf Course in the beginning of February 2014.

The women’s golf team played in conjunction with the men this past weekend in Arizona. Jenna Gimbel, a junior on the women’s team, said she was excited about what she saw in the men’s games.

“Between the first and the second tournament, I think they have the talent and work ethic to be top contenders in the spring,” Gimbel said.

Sarah DeLaGarrigue
    Published Oct. 9, 2013