Regals extend winning streak to 15

Regals volleyball continued their dominant start to the season this week with three wins, bringing their overall record as of Oct. 21 to 21-1 and 10-0 in SCIAC.

On Oct. 15, the Regals beat the Whittier Poets 3-0 at Gilbert Arena.

The first set started close, but the Regals were able to grab a lead with kills from sophomore outside hitter Allie Eason and senior middle blocker Lauren Rohach. The Regals was won 25-20.

The second set showed strong defense from both teams, with the lead constantly changing.

Upon entering the match, junior outside hitter Hannah Orlandi immediately brought the Regals ahead with an ace serve and a kill. The Poets took the lead again, but lost it with two kills from Eason and sophomore right side hitter Pua Moโ€™okini-Oliveira. The Regals eventually won the set 27-25.

โ€œBeing put in during a crucial point in the set is something all of us off the court are ready for,โ€ Orlandi said. โ€œWeโ€™re always ready to go in to make as much of an impact as we can. Iโ€™m glad I was able to make an impact and help us get back in the set.โ€

Eason continued to be a key contributor during the third set, with four kills. Rohach assured the Regals win with two kills and a block, followed by a winning final point by junior outside hitter Kylie McLogan.

โ€œWeโ€™re 17 strong, which is awesome because we can have girls come off the bench and be able to play well and make an impact on our energy and level of play,โ€ Moโ€™okini-Oliveira said.

On Oct. 19, the Regals defeated Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology from Terre-Haute, Indiana, 3-0 and Pomona-Pitzer 3-1.

In the first match, the Regals won the first set 25-14, second set 25-18 and third set 23-23. The whole team looked strong, but Eason continued her success from Tuesday nightโ€™s game with seven kills and seven digs.

In the second match against the Sagehens, the Regals lost the first set 25-21. In the second set, the score bounced back and forth, but with a kill from McLogan and an error for the Sagehens, the Regals won 28-27. In the third set, McLogan carried the Regals in a convincing way, winning 25-14. The fourth set was consistently tied, but the Regals ended up on top 25-23 because of two errors by the Sagehens.

โ€œWe had some really good blocks and lots of ups on defense. We were playing with a lot of energy and it was great to be playing our game, not worried about anything else,โ€ Eason said.

The Regals are now ranked third in the nation in the American Volleyball Coaches Association Division III rankings.

โ€œPeople can expect us to stay competitive, positive and energetic. We will continue to have a good time and love what we do,โ€ Rohach said.

The Regals will travel to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on Oct. 25 and will host University of California Santa Cruz at 3 p.m. and University of Redlands for a night cap at 6 p.m. on Oct. 26.

Caitlin Dimmitt