Panthers sneak by Kingsmen

Chapman served as worthy opponents for the Kingsmen soccer team as both battled at the annual Homecoming game on Oct. 19.

However, with less than 10 minutes left in the game, Chapmanโ€™s forward, Nick Echeverry, scored the game-winning goal to beat California Lutheran University 2-1.

Chapman opened up the first half with an aggressive start.

Within the first three minutes, Chapman scored against the Kingsmen, putting their backs against the wall early on. It was not until 10 minutes left in the first half when CLU tied the game at one when junior mid fielder Salvador Orozco scored.

Orozcoโ€™s goal changed the momentum of the game in favor of the Kingsmen. More pressure was put on Chapman and CLU started taking more shot attempts on goal than earlier in the half.

At one point, Chapman rushed the box and made three goal attempts in one play. But sophomore goalkeeper Jack Duncan and the defense held their own and rejected Chapman from scoring.

โ€œWe started in a hole,โ€ said sophomore mid fielder David Lee, on the first half play. โ€œSo the whole time we were fighting until we finally evened out.โ€

Even though the team had to pull themselves out from being under, the first half showed that both teams were competitive and the game could go any way.

The second half started with a role reversal. This time, the Kingsmen were the aggressors. CLU took five attempts on goal in the second, pushing the Chapman defense. Chapman held back on their attacks, but tried to make openings for their star player, Echeverry.

โ€œChapman has probably one of the best players in the league,โ€ said head coach Dan Kuntz about Echeverry. โ€œHeโ€™s a goal scorer, thatโ€™s his thing. And he has scored 12 goals this season and not just against us. He is the guy that everybody has to deal with.โ€

Because of Echeverryโ€™s ability to set himself up, Kuntz placed more emphasis on defense in this game. It was an attempt to reduce Echeverryโ€™s attempts on goal.

โ€œOur coach will say, โ€˜No goals against,โ€™โ€ said sophomore defender Tal Zaiet. โ€œThatโ€™s our first priority, so thatโ€™s really what we pride ourselves on. When anyone comes around the box, we just do whatever it takes to just sell out and make sure the ball doesnโ€™t go to the back of the net.โ€

The game looked well for the Kingsmen, but near the end, the team started to fall apart. Spirits were shaken when senior mid fielder Ivan Sanchez was injured and escorted off the field.

โ€œHe hurt his arm and had to come out for a little bit to make sure it wasnโ€™t broken,โ€ Kuntz said.

After that point, it became a defensive game. Less attempts on goal were made and the Kingsmen held off Chapmanโ€™s attacks. But, before the game ended, Chapmanโ€™s Echeverry snuck a goal in. With a few minutes left on the clock, it was a rushed attempt to even the game out again.

Unfortunately, the Kingsmen could not pull through this time.

โ€œThe guys battled hard,โ€ Lee said. โ€œJack had a really good game, kept us in there. You miss some close chances, but weโ€™re looking forward to the next one.โ€

The Kingsmen look to bounce back as they travel to Pomona-Pitzer to take on the Sagehens on Oct. 23 at 4 p.m.

Jordan Oram