Knorr remembered at inaugural alumni meet

Never forgotten: Current and former members of the CLU swim and dive team placed yellow and white flower petals (above) in remembrance of Chrs Knorr, a former CLU swimmer who lost a battle with cancer in May 2013. All swimmers particpated in events after the ceremony (below). There will be a Chris Knorr Invitational taking place Jan. 3 and 4, 2014. Photos by Becky Pruett - Staff Photographer
    Never forgotten: Current and former members of the CLU swim and dive team placed yellow and white flower petalsย  in remembrance of Chris Knorr, a former CLU swimmer who lost a battle with cancer in May 2013. All swimmers participated in events after the ceremony. There will be a Chris Knorr Invitational taking place Jan. 3 and 4, 2014.
    Photos by Becky Pruett – Staff Photographer

On Oct. 20, California Lutheran University held their first swim and dive alumni meet. The meet consisted of current team members as well as swimmers from previous years in honor and remembrance of Chris Knorr.

Knorr passed away May 2013. He had a brain tumor and a long struggle with cancer.

According to his obituary on asacredmoment.com, โ€œFrom a young age he participated in competitive swimming, baseball, soccer and basketball.โ€ He was known for his strong competitive spirit.

According to the teamโ€™s head coach, Tom Dodd, he had strong leadership capabilities.

โ€œHe was a special individual who never compromised anything,โ€ Dodd said.

Knorr crammed every last thing into his schedule and always followed through.

โ€œIโ€™d come to the pool and Chris would be at the pool before me,โ€ Dodd said. โ€œHeโ€™d be curled-up sleeping at the pool.โ€

Dodd said that Knorr had a busy schedule. He would go to swim practice, eat and head to orchestra practice, which wouldnโ€™t finish until 10 p.m.

After, he would get his nightly studying in and by the time he finished, he would only have a couple hours until swim practice at 4:30 a.m.

Dodd said he would never forget Chrisโ€™ last meet.

โ€œChris knew this would be his last meet, and no matter how bad it was, he wanted to finish the race,โ€ Dodd said.

CLU senior swimmer Sarah Forsythe remembered his strong will.

โ€œChris was a hard working guy with an amazing attitude and a strong passion for swimming and his team,โ€ Forsythe said.

The team wanted to commemorate Knorr in a special way by scheduling this meet, sending out flyers and contacting previous team members who knew Knorr.

At the meet, members shared their graduating year, occupation and best memory of Knorr. Each participant grabbed a handful of white and yellow rose petals and threw them into the pool as they shared a moment of silence. The yellow petals represented Knorr, who was known as โ€œsunshine,โ€ and the white petals represented โ€œhope in life,โ€ according to Dodd. CLU Pastor Melissa Maxwell-Dougherty also led the group in prayer during the meet.

Afterwards, CLU split up into purple and gold teams as they competed in rallies and short-distance races. The memorial was finished off with diving.

โ€œIt was such a wonderful and moving experience,โ€ Forsythe said. โ€œYou could feel the family atmosphere. It was also great to remember Chris through the thing he loved: swimming. The meet was filled with excitement and joy in memory of Chris.โ€

After the meet, everyone was treated to brunch where they exchanged memories and moments of Knorr. Because of Knorrโ€™s passion and love for swim and his university, the program was able to host their first ever alumni meet and remember someone who touched all of their lives.

Janella Caravetta