Regals celebrate Senior Night, head into SCIAC tourny

Senior night on Nov. 1 was a victorious one for the Regals volleyball team. The Regals defeated California Institute of Technology in straight sets, 3-0. It was a win that the senior Regals worked confidently on after their pregame recognition.

โ€œThe senior night celebration was memorable for all of us and it was nice that we got to play a fun game with less stress for Senior Night,โ€ said senior middle blocker Hayley Tamagni.

The Regals kept their score in the lead throughout the three matches. The Regals led the first set with a score of 25-7. Their second set was won with a score of 25-6. The last set ended in triumph with a score of 25-8.

The game was one to set spirits even higher after the senior night recognition ceremony. Setter Jackie Russell, outside hitter Kylie McLogan, middle blocker Lauren Rohach and Tamagni were all recognized for their four years of service to the university and honored for their effort that led to four SCIAC championships and two SCIAC tournament titles. All four seniors also earned All-SCIAC honors this season. Fans sitting in the bleachers congratulated the four who have worked their way to making the Regals the No. 3 team in the American Volleyball Coaches Association Top 25 Poll.

โ€This has been the most successful season in my four years, and as a senior, I think it is the best way to end my volleyball career,โ€ Tamagni said.

The matches against Caltech were ones for the record books. Tamagni and teammates held a total of 22 service aces.ย  Everyone got in on the action as 11 of the Regals recorded at least one kill.

โ€œWe know that every team in SCIAC is strong this year and we need to be ready every game,โ€ said junior libero Kennedy Peters. โ€œOur strongest point of our game was our serving, 22 service aces is the best weโ€™ve ever had. All 17 girls contributed to the win which made it really special.โ€

Peters, freshman middle blocker Monica Lundgren and junior outside hitter Hannah Orlandi each had three serve aces. While sophomore outside hitter Allie Eason led the team with four serve aces.

โ€œOur team is able to play together so well because we all have the same ultimate goal and we have confidence in the girl next to us to work hard to reach that goal. We hold each other accountable because we play for each other,โ€ said sophomore right side hitter Pua Moโ€™okini-Oliveira.

Each player contribution in the victory against Caltech. Orlandi recorded three kills on four attempts. Sophomore outside hitter Caitlin Fransen led with five kills. Junior setter Jena Chavez executed 13 assists and Russell aided with six.

On Nov. 2, CLU topped La Verne 3-1 to complete a perfect record in SCIAC of 16-0.

CLU opens up the SCIAC tournament at home on Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. taking on Chapman University. If victorious, the Regals will play for the tournament championship on Nov. 9 in Gilbert Sports and Fitness Arena as well.

Berlin Galvan
Published Nov. 6, 2013