Students avoid LAX shooting

On Nov. 1, 23-year-old Paul Anthony Ciancia opened fire at Terminal 3 of Los Angeles International Airport and is now being charged for murder and creating chaos at one of the largest international airports, according to Fox News.  He killed TSA employee, Gerado J. Hernandez, injured two others and hurt civilians in the process. Ciancia was dropped off by his roommate who revealed he did not know about Ciancia’s intentions.

The airport was on lock down during the morning. No flights could depart and only arrivals were allowed. Roads leading in and out of the airport were shut down and only travelers by foot walked out of the airport.

“I had a flight out of Terminal 3 to San Jose at 12:50, but saw the news that morning and ended up driving to San Jose instead,” said Courtney Brenk, senior at California Lutheran University. “I have never had something like this actually affect my own plans.”

Ciancia carried a .223 caliber assault rifle and a note revealing his motives. He wanted to “instill fear” by killing TSA employees at the airport to prove how easy it still is to get a gun into the airport. He reached security and opened fire.

Senior Caitlin Dimmitt flew into LAX on Nov. 4.

“I think that airport security is a lot better since 9/11, but since this happened before security, there is only so much TSA can do to assure the safety of people flying and work at the airport,” Dimmitt said.

Cianca was angry because of the country’s intent to ensure a safer environment in airports after 9/11.  He felt that his rights under the constitution were being violated, according to Fox News.

“Situations like this make flying safer because of the increase in security, but there is only so much they can do. I fly into LAX regularly, so now I am curious to see the changes they make before I fly home for Thanksgiving,” said senior Katie Olsen.

Ciancia was shot by officers and is now at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center under urgent care.


Erin Chisolm
Staff Writer
Published Nov. 13, 2013