Not the ending CLU had written up

Going out on a high: Sheyenne Machida finished her final home meet with two first place finishes in the 1-meter and 3-meter dive. Photo by Areli Diaz - Staff Photographer
    Going out on a high: Sheyenne Machida finished her final home meet with two first place finishes in the 1-meter and 3-meter dive.
    Photo by Areli Diaz – Staff Photographer

Looming rain clouds and cold winds did not stop the California Lutheran University swim and dive team from giving it its all on Saturday.ย  The Kingsmen and Regals battled hard throughout the day, but were edged 150-148 by the Whittier Poets.

โ€œI really felt the team performed well as a whole and the seniors did a great job and showed a lot of leadership,โ€ said Tom Dodd, head coach for the CLU swim and dive team.ย  โ€œWe had some people sacrifice and swim in events they normally donโ€™t swim and they came through.โ€

CLU began the meet by taking first place in the womenโ€™s 200-yard Medley Relay, which featured junior Mary Wakabayashi and seniors Shelby Brooks, Kelli Miller and Alvina Wong.

Brooks followed her relay performance with a first place finish in the womenโ€™s 100-yard backstroke. Fellow senior Aaron Waters duplicated her efforts, coming in first in the menโ€™s 100-yard backstroke.

Senior Sarah Forsythe added in a pair of her own first place finishes in both the womenโ€™s 50-yard freestyle and the womenโ€™s 100-yard freestyle.

โ€œYou have to get in and give it your all for those 50 to 55 seconds that youโ€™re in the pool.ย  You have to have confidence in yourself,โ€ Forsythe said.ย  โ€œA quote that went through my head was โ€˜your legs arenโ€™t giving up, but your mind is giving up so keep pushing forward.โ€™ You just have to have that momentum to keep going.โ€

Senior diver Sheyenne Machida took home first place in both the womenโ€™s 1-meter dive and the womenโ€™s 3-meter dive while junior Ryan Brem placed first in the menโ€™s 1-meter dive.

The Kingsmen quickly jumped back in the water as freshman Zach Loza and seniors Tyler Berg and David Sparks would finish second, third and fourth in the menโ€™s 100-yard freestyle.ย  Berg would also close out his final home meet by placing second in the menโ€™s 50-yard freestyle.

โ€œEverybody swam really great.ย  Weโ€™ve been putting a lot of training in and it was the last dual meet of the season, so everybody put up some pretty good times,โ€ Berg said.ย  โ€œIโ€™m pretty happy with the way everybody swam.โ€

CLU would close out the day with a first and second place finish in the menโ€™s 400-yard freestyle relay.ย  Freshman Dominic Barriere, sophomore Luis Burgos and juniors Ethan Flyer and Mike Potter finished in first place with a time of 3:15.64.ย  Loza, Sparks, Berg and senior Chase Miller finished right behind them with a time of 3:16.43.

Despite the loss, the Kingsmen and Regalsโ€™ spirits were not dampened as they honored 16 seniors who swam their last home meet.

โ€œItโ€™s our biggest graduating class in history.ย  Theyโ€™ve had a huge impact on our program and our team.ย  You canโ€™t replace them,โ€ Dodd said.ย  โ€œTheyโ€™re really good people that Iโ€™m going to miss.ย  Unfortunately, itโ€™s going to be hard to replace them, but thatโ€™s kind of what weโ€™re all about, getting them into school and having them graduate.โ€

โ€œIt definitely was a joyous time but also kind of emotional since this is our last meet here at home,โ€ Forsythe said.ย  โ€œWe want to carry on the tradition of having fun and having good sportsmanship.โ€

CLU will head down to Commerce, Calif. on Feb. 20-23 for the 2014 SCIAC Championships.

Jase Magarifuji
    Published Feb. 12, 2014