Valentine’s Day: Where is the love?

Valentine’s Day is commonly celebrated around the world by people of all ages. It is a day where people express their love and appreciation for the ones they care most about.

With stores offering a wide variety of gifts to shower loved ones with, it is starting to go overboard. Valentine’s Day is becoming more focused on the materials and less on love.

Although Valentine’s Day is meant to express romance and happiness, it can often just create chaos and stress.

Men are usually expected to make dinner reservations or bring home flowers and chocolate to their companion.

In this case, planning needs to be done early, otherwise your companion’s favorite restaurant might be full.

Senior Dominick Allen is married with two children and is not very ecstatic about Valentine’s Day. He does not plan much in advance, but usually does something simple and nice for his wife.

“I’m not that big of a fan. Valentine’s Day seems really made up. It’s like a fake day that a lot of people put emphasis on,” Allen said.

“I don’t have plans yet, kind of just going on a whim and doing whatever I feel like. Probably around the [Feb.] 10, I’ll get really serious.”

Valentine’s Day is becoming more of a material based holiday and less about the true meaning: love.

People go out and spend tons of money on stuffed animals, flowers, candy, dinners and other items hoping to justify how much they love their significant other.

People can still express their love for someone without those materials. You can take your companion to the beach at night and watch the stars, pick flowers for them yourself or give them a homemade card.

If you put more thought into it and less money, I’m sure the person you’re trying to impress will not be disappointed.

“Valentine’s Day should be celebrated with love and extracurricular activities to cap off the night,” Allen said.

Angela Constable, who has a doctorate in sociology, believes that Valentine’s Day is a holiday for young people. She believes the older you get, the less often you celebrate the holiday and the way you perceive it changes. The holiday also makes men stressed when coming up with something special to do.

“I think Valentine’s Day has changed. When I was in school, we gave everyone a valentine no matter what, but as we get older, people tend to give valentines only to specific people,” Constable said. “There is more social pressure on men than there used to be.”

Constable also believes the holiday is starting to focus more on materials and less on love. There are so many different products for stores to sell for Valentine’s Day.

“The holiday is for Hallmark and it’s probably the second or third best day for them in the commercial part of it, behind Mother’s Day,” Constable said. “It’s just something that’s lighthearted and fun.”

For single men and women, Valentine’s Day can either be the day where they make a move and tell someone how they feel, or it can be celebrated as an awareness day.

Senior Ashley Frese is single this Valentine’s Day, but she is not celebrating it under the well-known alternative, single awareness day.

“I don’t go around like ‘happy single awareness day,’” Frese said. “I think [Valentine’s Day] is a fun, silly, little, traditional holiday.”

Frese said she would not mind celebrating Valentine’s Day if she were in a relationship since she has in her past. The holiday is what you make of it and it should always be the thought that counts.

“As with any holiday there are expectations and I wouldn’t keep them high. All that really matters is the thought,” Frese said. “When it comes down to it, a letter is always nice; just small things and nothing too extravagant.”

Valentine’s Day is a time of year to share how you feel romantically toward someone or remind your family members how much you love them.

When Feb. 14 comes around, enjoy the day of romance, but remember to focus more on the true meaning of the holiday: love, not the materials.

Ryan Perez
    Published Feb. 12, 2014