NEWS BRIEFS: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

Terrorism attempts circle Sochi
    A Ukranian passenger named Artem Hozlov tried to hijack an Istanbul-bound flight on Feb. 7, claiming that there was a bomb on board, according to NBC News. There were 109 other passengers on the plane and Hozlov tried to hijack the plane toward Sochi, Russia where the Olympics were kicking off.
    โ€œThrough a very successful implementation by our pilot and crew, the plane was landed in Istanbul instead of Sochi,โ€ said Istanbul Gov. Huseyin Avni Mutlu.
    No bomb was found on the plane and the passenger was taken into custody. There are no immediate indications that the passenger was a member of any terror organization.
    โ€œWe were receiving, through various channels, information that could be initiatives to sabotage the spirit of peace arising in Sochi, but we are saddened that such an event took place in our city,โ€ Mutlu said.

โ€œBulling insuranceโ€ sold
    South Korean insurance companies are selling โ€œbullying insuranceโ€ to their citizens later this year. Hyundai Marine and Fire Insurance will sell the new policy.
    โ€œIt is for the public good and weโ€™re expecting a lot of claims,โ€ said a spokesperson for Hyundai Insurance.
    There will also be three additional new policies: domestic violence, sexual assault and food contamination, according to BBC News. The policies will only be sold to institutions, not private individuals. Coverage plans will go toward the cost of counseling and medical bills. According to the Education Ministry, more than 77,000 school students of all ages in South Korea said they had been bullied and nearly 10 percent considered suicide. Almost 140 South Korean students committed suicide in 2012.

Energy drink ban to minors
    On Feb. 6, a bill was introduced in Marylandโ€™s General Assembly that would potentially ban sales of energy drinks to minors, according to CNBC. If the bill were to become a law, Maryland would be the first state in the U.S. with this prohibition. The penalty for a first offence would be a fine of up to $5,000. A second offense would result in a fine of $10,000 and a third is a fine of $20,000. In Maryland, anyone under the age of 18 is considered a minor.
    โ€œThere is no evidence that Monster energy drink has caused or contributed to any injury whatsoever,โ€ Monster Beverage said.
    Monster Beverage is one of the most popular energy drinks in the U.S.

Carrera shoots for Glamour UK
    Transgender model Carmen Carrera recently shot a spread for Glamour Magazine UK. Carrera became a part of the media conversation when she received more than 46,000 signatures on a Change.com petition to become Victoriaโ€™s Secretโ€™s first transgender โ€œangel,โ€ just days before the 2013 fashion show, according to CNN.com. The petition was unsuccessful and Victoriaโ€™s Secret never responded to the petition.
    โ€œI donโ€™t want to just be labeled as a transgender model โ€ฆ why do I have to be separated? Itโ€™s the modeling industry โ€“ one industry,โ€ Carrera said.
    Several photographers are now using transgender models as part of their campaigns, such as fashion photographer Bruce Weber. Seventeen transgender models were featured as part of a campaign for luxury retailer Barney New Yorkโ€™s latest catalogue and magazine.

Child dies after over-consumption
    A 5-year-old girl from Surgionville, Tenn. died after her parents forced her to drink more than two liters of grape soda and water, according to CBS News. The father and stepmother were arraigned on Feb. 7 on charges of murder, abuse and neglect. They are jailed on a $500,000 bond each. According to the autopsy report, she had moved to Tenn. to live with her father three months before her death. The move was prompted by allegations that she was neglected at her previous home. Tennessee Department of Childrenโ€™s Services spokesman Rob Johnson said the girl lived in the home with five other children and they have been removed from the house.

Rikke Bovre
    Published Feb. 12, 2014