Students need more entertainment options

The benefits of attending a small private university like California Lutheran University can be great: small class sizes, more one on one contact with your professor and you know pretty much everyone who goes to your school or at least recognize them.

But, one major downfall about attending CLU is that we donโ€™t get the college partying experience. Especially for a college student who is now of legal drinking age and wants to experience that 21 and over life.

There is no downtown area full of bars and clubs, and everything in this town seems to shut down by 10 p.m.

Thousand Oaks is ranked the fourth safest city in the United States, according to CBS Los Angelesโ€ฆwell go figure right?

One of the most successful and talked about events every year is the 100 Days Party and it once again held up to its reputation this year.

Just because the 100 Days Party ended at 11 p.m., did not mean the actual party ended. Most headed straight to Sunset Terrace restaurant and lounge, where many other students who were not seniors were there to join in on the fun.

Seniors and others who later joined the party have talked about what a good time that night was.

โ€œIt brings people together who wouldnโ€™t otherwise hangout with each other and itโ€™s something fun to do in Thousand Oaks,โ€ said senior Morgan McCardell.

If events like this are such a hit among students, then our school should host more like them.

โ€œI think it would be a great idea for the school to host more events like the 100 Days Party not only because Thousand Oaks can be boring, but you also get to hang out with a lot of people that you normally wouldnโ€™t get to see and you meet more people,โ€ said senior Tyler Hebda.

These events are the perfect way to get students interacting with each other, to create new friendships and to strengthen those we already have.

โ€œI think a lot of students feel the same way, as well. I know a lot of our friends had a great time out with everyone that night, even though we didnโ€™t know half of them,โ€ Hebda said.

โ€œI think it would be a really good way for students of all different majors to interact with each other and it would give our school more sense of community,โ€ said senior Travis Domm.

Considering how many people enjoyed this event and others like it, why are there not more events like it put on by ASCLUG?

The members of CLUโ€™s programs board are the ones who choose and plan the Club Lu events for students.

โ€œThe budget that programs board has comes from student fees, all undergraduate student fees, and because not all students are 21, it isnโ€™t necessarily fair to spend money on only a limited amount of students when the fees come from all undergraduate students,โ€ said junior Katy Crabtree, the ASCLUG programs board director.

โ€œThe 100 Days Party is put on by Alumni Relations and their budget does not come from student fees like programs board budget does. Even though we would not be paying directly for the alcohol, the idea is still the same,โ€ Crabtree said.

I can see how this could be unfair for students who are not 21.

However, we have had Club Lu events at Borderline Bar and Grill, an 18 and over club near campus.

These events seem to also be successful and this is a place that can bring together all CLU students and those who are of age can even buy themselves a drink at the bar.

I think students would enjoy if we had more events at Borderline and in addition to this, I think our school should dedicate one or two more school events to students who are 21 and over.

At least the students who are not 21 yet will have something to look forward to when they do turn 21.

โ€œIt is helpful when students are vocal about what programs they want to see because then the programs board representatives can take that into consideration at spring retreat when they are deciding what events to plan for the next year,โ€ Crabtree said.

If we want our student fees spent on the events we enjoy the most, the best way is to vocalize our opinion to a programs board representative.

Any student can attend senate and programs board meetings and all ASCLUG membersโ€™ contact information is on the ASCLUG website.

These are supposedly the best four years of our life, so why not do what we can to make it as memorable and fun as possible?

Lauren Ray
    Published Feb. 26, 2014