Artistic expression meets religious identity

Think about what it means to express oneโ€™s faith. Do acts like sacred scripture or prayer come to mind? What about painting, drawing, singing or writing poetry?

The Art of Faith event will showcase a number of students who go beyond traditional forms of religious expression in honoring their faith through a variety of artistic forms. The event will take place on March 7 at 6 p.m. in California Lutheran Universityโ€™s Lundring Events Center.

Making the event a reality has been a lengthy process according to senior Eric Foster, a religion department assistant at CLU. The idea to have an event in which students could present their faith-inspired works was conceived several semesters ago when the time and resources were not available.

The Art of Faith event was made possible through a collaboration of the English and religion departments. It will have approximately 11 presenters ranging from musical performances, visual art and poetry readings.

โ€œThe goal is to expose students to the numerous ways faith can be represented and art is one of those ways. We wanted to show how rich that can be,โ€ Foster said. โ€œWe really just want the students to be empowered and comfortable to express themselves.โ€

Tori Dahl, a senior double majoring in English and biology, has been writing poetry since the age of 8 and will present pieces of poetry at the event.

Dahl said that her Lutheran faith is often a theme within her poems and involves asking deeper questions like, โ€œHow does God fit into my life?โ€

โ€œPoetry has always been my favorite mode of expression. Iโ€™m an introvert struggling to become an extrovert, but poetry has always been the way that I can process my thoughts more deeply,โ€ Dahl said.

Courtney Bartlett, a freshman English major, will present one painting and three drawings at the event and believes that her love for art is a gift from God.

โ€œMy art isnโ€™t inspired by anything biblical, but I do think God gave me art. I know itโ€™s the Lord bringing me something that gives me so much joy,โ€ Bartlett said.

For Bartlett, being an English major presenting art is just as unique as presenting faith in art.

โ€œA lot of the time, English majors and art is a combination thatโ€™s really hidden. Art is what Iโ€™m so passionate about along with English.

Itโ€™s my thing. It got me through hard stuff and if I didnโ€™t have that in my life, I donโ€™t know where Iโ€™d be,โ€ Bartlett said.

The Art of Faith event will not only allow participating students the opportunity to share their work, but also give students attending a chance to view religious expression in a new light. Students will also be able to meet the artists and hear live performances.

โ€œI find it always valuable when I get to hear other peopleโ€™s opinions, so being able to share my thoughts is exciting,โ€ Dahl said. โ€œItโ€™ll be nice to have people possibly learn something about how they can express their faith through me or get to experience another aspect of faith.โ€

Monica Linares
Published March 5, 2014