Regals get SCIAC preview from Trinity

Stiff competition: Dana Raugust and the Regals faced nationally ranked Trinity, a good test as three SCIAC teams are nationally ranked as well. Photo by Courtney Nunez- Staff Photographer
    Stiff competition: Dana Raugust and the Regals faced nationally ranked Trinity, a good test as three SCIAC teams are nationally ranked as well.
    Photo by Courtney Nunez- Staff Photographer

The California Lutheran University Regals tennis team faced the nationally ranked Trinity Tigers March 8 at the Poulson Tennis Center.

Junior Sarah Baker and senior Lindsay Murphy won their No. 3 doubles match while freshman Rebecca Gold won her No. 3 singles match. The Regals fought hard with many of them being affected by injuries, but at the end of the day, the visiting Tigers took home a 7-2 victory.

Doubles team Baker and Murphy earned CLU its first point with an incredible defeat of 8-0 against Trinityโ€™s Kristy Hamilton and Stephanie Williamson. Despite the great win in her doubles match, Murphy couldnโ€™t pull through in her singles match, losing both of her sets 6-0 and 6-2.

โ€œThe girl I played today in singles had a tough game for me to play against personally, so it makes everything a little bit more challenging and the girls we played in doubles I think were making a lot of mistakes today,โ€ Murphy said. โ€œI donโ€™t think they had a good day. Singles and doubles are really different games, it has a lot to do with strategy. In singles you have a lot more court to cover and it involves more movement.โ€

Murphy is also dealing with some injuries.

โ€œRecently I found out I have tendonitis in my ankle and I have had a shoulder problem since sophomore year. I have a pinched nerve but now I am not exactly sure what it is. I think it could be a new shoulder injury.โ€

The No. 1 doubles match was a close one with Gold and Freshman Daria Karakoulka almost earning CLU its second point before narrowly falling 8-6 to Caroline White and Kathleen Lundquist. Gold went on to defeat Hamilton in three sets 7-5, 1-6, 10-4 during the No. 3 singles match, leading CLU to its only point of the singles portion.

Karakoulka was neck-and-neck with Trinityโ€™s Kylie Hornbeck in the first set in the No. 2 singles, falling 7-6, but was forced to retire in her second set due to an injury.

โ€œToday is not my best day. I am injured so I had to retire my singles match. I have alkalis tendonitis,โ€ Karakoulka said. โ€œTrinity has a great team, but I look forward to playing tough teams like them because it just makes me play better so I love it.โ€

The Regals will face more nationally ranked teams in SCIAC so this match was good practice.

โ€œIt is preparing us for SCIAC.In womenโ€™s tennis in SCIAC we have 3 of the top 10 nationally ranked teams, CMS, Pomona- Pitzer and La Verne. All of our matches are really hard so every match prepares us for the teams we will face in April,โ€ said head coach Vanessa McPadden.

CLUโ€™s womenโ€™s tennis team has an overall record of 1-4 so far this season. They will be traveling to Arizona on March 15 for a two-day tournament hosted by Arizona Christian, and their next home game is Monday, March 24 at 3 p.m. against the Pacific Lutheran Lutes.

Lauren Ray
    Published March 12, 2o14