The final stretch

The glamour and excitement of spring break has vanished. The light at the end of the tunnel is growing bigger and shining brighter as summer is approaching. For freshmen, sophomores and juniors, this means summer jobs and hanging out with friends. However, for seniors, this summer is the starting block for real life.

The weeks between spring break and summer can be quite stressful for seniors as they race to finish capstone projects as well as frantically search for full time jobs with the goal that they donโ€™t have to move back in with their parents. Seniors also have to balance spending time with friends, who after graduation, might not be around as much.

Senior Amy Galipeau has a lot on her plate, as she is busy finishing her capstone project as well as preparing for the future.

โ€œI plan on applying to grad school and hoping to come back to Cal Lutheran and get my teaching credential in the fall,โ€ Galipeau said.

Galipeau started at California Lutheran University four years ago thinking she wanted to study physical therapy. Instead, she found that teaching is her calling.

โ€œIโ€™m stressed about deadlines, but Iโ€™m excited about what the future holds. There are so many things I can do and I donโ€™t have to know what I want right away. Ultimately I want to do something I enjoy,โ€ Galipeau said.

Senior Andrew Quan has found himself in an upward position after receiving and accepting a full-time job with Vanguard,ย  an American investment company.

โ€œThe process was really cool. I had an over the phone interview first.ย  When I passed that they flew me out to Scottsdale, Arizona where I had an in-person interview,โ€ Quan said.

Quan admitted that getting a full-time job has helped relieve at least some of the stress he was previously feeling.

โ€œThe stress has subsided just a little, but I am still stressing over graduation too.ย  While studying for my classes and working, I also have to prepare to move to a different state, which does take some time and effort to do,โ€ Quan said. โ€œHowever, it is still very exciting to prepare for the next chapter in my life, which does make the stress disappear at times.โ€

The idea of graduation can scare some people because it means moving on.

โ€œItโ€™s the next step. Everybody talks about the next chapter in their life and I think itโ€™s exciting,โ€ CLU student body President Andre Andoyan said.

Whether youโ€™re ready for it or not, graduation is approaching. Some people, like Quan, have full-time jobs lined up, ready to tackle the world. Others are trying to figure out how to avoid responsibilities for as long as they possibly can. Then thereโ€™s everybody in between.
    Regardless of where you lie on the spectrum, seniors are all in it together. To all the underclassmen still basking in their college years, enjoy them. Soon you will find yourself in the same position as the class of 2014.

Joshua Dwyer
    Published April 2, 2014