Liquor violations increase on campus

Between 2013 and 2014 liquor violations on campus increased by 38 violations.

In 2013 California Lutheran University had 120 liquor law violations according to the 2014 Campus Security and Fire Life Safety Report. This number has increased by 38 violations from the year 2012.

Violations of university policy and state law regarding alcoholic beverages are subject to university disciplinary action, criminal prosecution as well as being charged a fine and imprisonment, according to the policy statement addressing alcoholic beverages.

โ€œThe numbers havenโ€™t changed,โ€ said Director of Campus Safety Fred Miller, โ€˜โ€˜the alcohol and drug violations have stayed about the same. We have had a major drop in what we need to report from two years ago to last year in drug violations because the law changed.โ€

The drug law violations have dropped since 2011. In 2011 there were 10 reported drug law violations, where as in 2013 there were only two. This number has dropped significantly because the state law has changed on drugs. It is still a Cal Lutheran violation, however what needs to be reported to the department of education has changed.

โ€œI understand the school needs rules on having alcohol but I find it unfair to students like myself who are 21-years-old. We should at least have different consequences,โ€ senior Colin Crowl said, โ€œHow am I old enough to drink off campus legally but get written up for just having it in my dorm? This is part of the reason why I decided to live off campus this year,.โ€

There was also one residence hall arrest on campus in 2013 according to the Campus Security report.

The 2014 Campus Safety Report also stated there were seven reported burglaries, two of them using forcible entry. In the other five cases no force was needed meaning students forgot to lock either their dorm room or their car while on campus.

โ€œThereโ€™s not a lot we can really do to improve the numbers. We have cameras now, which help us deter. We have a good relationship with police,โ€ Miller said.

There was one reported forcible sex offense on campus over the past three years.

โ€œOne of the big things we are pushing this year is the Save Act, which is the new sexual assault policy. It requires universities and colleges to have very strong programs on sexual assault. The average is five percent of female students will be sexually assaulted, that is the national average. We take it seriously,โ€ Miller said.

According to the policy for reporting the annual disclosure of crime statistics, campus crime, arrests and referral statistics include those reported to Campus Safety, the Thousand Oaks Police Department and designated campus officials.

โ€œWe are constantly doing programming in the halls to educate students about their choices. With that, RAโ€™s are expected to program for the needs of the hall and to understand what their residents need and want in terms of educational programming,โ€ Associate Director of Student Life, Christine Paul said.

There are public safety officers available 24 hours a day around campus. Students, faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to report all crimes involving the main campus to Campus Safety. The biggest way to prevent these crimes from happening is to make the students aware of what to do when they see something occur.

Christopher Whitmer

Published October 1, 2014