News Briefs: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

Texas health worker tests positive for Ebola

A Dallas hospital worker who treated the Liberian man who died of Ebola has been tested positive for the disease said Center for Disease Control officials according to the New York Times. Thomas Frieden, Director of the federal CDC, said on Sunday that the latest report indicated a breach of safety protocol at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, which had failed to recognize the Liberian man, Thomas Duncan who was the first person diagnosed with Ebola in the United States who died last Wednesday. The health care worker who tended to Duncan, whose name was not released, reported a low-grade fever Friday night, went to the hospital and was put in isolation.

Nobel Peace Prize honors Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi

Yousafzai was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize on Oct. 10, becoming the youngest recipient of the award at age 17. According the New York Times she has been advocating for childrenโ€™s rights since she was 11. Her activism made her a target as she spoke out against the oppression of women and children in Pakistan. She survived being shot in the face by the Taliban in 2012, making her a worldwide symbol for childrenโ€™s rights. She shares the award with Kailash Satyarthi who also fights for childrenโ€™s rights in India.

First reported homicide in Thousand Oaks in nearly four years

After shooting and killing his wife, a Thousand Oaks man took his own life Oct. 3 inside the coupleโ€™s Sunset Hills home, according to the Ventura County Medical Examiner โ€™s Office and the Thousand Oaks Police Department. According to the Thousand Oaks Acorn TOPD officers responded to a disturbance call to the coupleโ€™s home and found the bodies of Michael Seibert and his wife, Priscilla Coolidge. Both Coolidge and Seibert died from gunshot wounds, said James Baroni from the medical examinerโ€™s office. The last reported homicide in Thousand Oaks was in 2010.

Ukraine to replace its defense minister for the third time this year

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko plans to replace the countryโ€™s defense minister with the fourth person to hold the position this year, according to a statement posted on the presidential website of Ukraine on Sunday, Oct. 12. According to the Los Angeles Times, Valery Heletey, who gave his resignation to Poroshenko on Friday, was named defense minister on July 3 to replace Mykhailo Koval, who had been appointed by the interim government to oversee defense after the resignation of President Viktor Yanukovich, and his ministers in February.

17 arrested in St. Louis during โ€˜Ferguson Octoberโ€™ protest

Seventeen demonstrators were arrested in a sit-in outside a QuikTrip on Sunday, Oct. 12 as a weekend of โ€œFerguson Octoberโ€ demonstrations continued to spread out of the suburb of Ferguson and into the city of St. Louis according to the Los Angeles Times. Sunday morningโ€™s arrests follow a Saturday of protests that began with several hundred people marching through downtown St. Louis to protest shootings and racial inequality. Protesters gathered on the street where 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot by police officer Darren Wilson on Aug. 9. A small group of protesters began to riot and block businesses inciting police force and arrests.

Meisha Mossayebi

Published October 15, 2014