SPORTS BRIEFS: Campus Sports Updates

Men’s volleyball coming to CLU

On Dec. 1, California Lutheran University announced that it will add a men’s volleyball team for the spring 2016 season.

It will be the first school in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference to add the sport according to CLUsports.com.

According to ncaa.com, there are two divisions for men’s volleyball, National Collegiate and Division III. The National Collegiate division is comprised of Division I and II schools.

Division III men’s volleyball is the most recent sport to receive an NCAA national championship with the first one being held in 2012.

According to CLUsports.com Cal Lutheran will join 70 Division III schools that fielded a men’s volleyball team. The only other school in Southern California to be a part of those schools is UC Santa Cruz.

According to CLUsports.com, the program hopes to recruit the myriad of high school and junior college talent located in the Southern California region.

Cal Lutheran will compete as independent schools, according to CLUsports.com.

Kingsmen basketball takes on Surf’s Up Classic in Hawaii

Over Thanksgiving break, the Kingsmen basketball team traveled to Hawaii to compete in the bi-annual Surf’s Up Classic tournament.

The Kingsmen went 1-1 in the two games they competed in, defeating Pacific University (Ore.) 67-56 and losing to University of Puget Sound 63-52.

The Kingsmen move on with a record of 1-2 and will take on UC Santa Cruz on Dec. 12 at home.