News Briefs: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

Helicopter crash kills 11 servicemen

Eleven service members were killed in a helicopter crash during a military training exercise on March 10, according to The New York Times.

The article said the crash occurred on the coast of Florida, and those killed included members of the Louisiana National Guard and the U.S. Marines.

The crash is currently being investigated, according to The New York Times.

There were two helicopters involved in the training mission and the other returned safely, according to the article.

The New York Times said there was heavy fog along the coast at the time but officials approved the training to continue.

According to the article, one of the servicemen killed, Staff Sgt. Andrew C. Seif, was a Marine who recently received a Silver Star medal for heroism during service in Afghanistan.

Possibility of large earthquakes in California has increased by seven percent

The U.S. Geological Survey said the possibility of a large earthquake occurring in the next 30 years in California has increased, according to an article in the Los Angeles Times.

The article said this possibility has increased from 4.7 percent to 7 percent. The potential earthquake could be at least an 8.0 magnitude.

Scientists predicted this percent increase because they have discovered fault lines are closer together than they previously thought and one earthquake could start another, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The article said two recent earthquakes in the world have exhibited this โ€œjumpingโ€ of faults. These earthquakes occurred in 2010 in Baja California and in 2011 in Japan.

According to the article, earthquakes of this magnitude generally happen in California about every 500 years, and the last similar one occurred in 1857.

The Los Angeles Times said while scientists can offer general ideas about when these earthquakes might happen, they cannot forecast a specific date when such earthquakes could occur.

Cyclone Pam hits capital of Vanuatu

Cyclone Pam damaged homes and areas of land in Port Vila, Vanuatu on March 14, according to CNN.

The article said warnings were also issued for New Zealand and the Solomon Islands.

According to CNN, the cyclone is the strongest storm since the 2013 typhoon in the Philippines.

Posts from the Australian Red Cross described people displaced by the cyclone and the need for water, food and shelter, according to the article.

CNN said many areas on the islands were evacuated, and communication and power lines were damaged by wind and rain.

According to the article, the wind reached speeds of 190 mph, and the cyclone was classified as a Category four hurricane.

Officials instructed people to shelter in concrete buildings such as schools or churches if possible, according to the article.

Brush fire contained in Ventura county

A brush fire occurred in Ventura on March 12, according to an article in the Los Angeles Times.

The article said the fire, which began on the afternoon of March 12, spread to 22 acres. The next day firefighters contained the fire to 80 percent.

The Brooks Institute, which was near the location of the fire, was evacuated, according to the Los Angeles Times. However, the article said no one was injured, and no buildings were damaged by the fire.

According to the article, officials are investigating how the fire began and said the cause may have been a campfire.

Jill Kane
    Published March 18th, 2015