Tennis Serves up a Weekend Sweep

The Regals tennis team dominated the courts of the Poulson Tennis Center over the weekend with back-to-back wins against two non-conference opponents.

On March 13 the Regals earned a 7-2 victory over Principia College despite the strong wind conditions.

The Violet and Gold started strong with doubles play earning a quick 2-1 lead over the Panthers.

โ€œItโ€™s always really difficult to play in the wind. I think the girls did a really good job of focusing and doing what they needed to do to win the match,โ€ head coach Vanessa McPadden said.

Cal Lutheranโ€™s No. 3 doubles team of Sarah Baker and Rebecca Gold executed their shots well and were victorious with an 8-1 win over Principiaโ€™s Lena Carlson and Claire Horton.

โ€œWe had really good communication, despite the wind. My partner and I were able to keep our footwork going and just stay aggressive,โ€ Gold said.

The Regalsโ€™ No. 2 doubles of Annette Sousa and Emily Werman came out on top with an 8-2 victory over the Pantherโ€™s duo of Caitlin Carney and Lily Richards.

Success in singles started for Cal Lutheran when No. 6 Sousa earned the Regalsโ€™ third point of the match when she finished with a 6-1, 6-0 win against Carney.

Shelby Kubota at No. 4 for the Regals came off her doubles defeat fired up to take down Horton 6-1, 6-0.

โ€œI think in doubles I kind of struggled with being confident and really going for the ball. Then in singles, I came back and really went for it and gave it it my all,โ€ Kubota said. โ€œMy serves really went well in singles and my approach shots really drove off.โ€

Even though the weather conditions were hot and windy, Kubota said she executed shots well with heavy topspin on the ball in order to have an advantage over Horton.

Baker helped the Regals clinch the match when she finished 6-0, 6-1 against Horton.

Freshman Mallory Kenny playing No. 1 singles for Cal Lutheran, forfeited to Hanne Andersen due to extensive knee and shoulder pain.

Cal Lutheran womenโ€™s tennis team returned to the Poulson Tennis Center on March 14 to face Concordia University where the Regals defeated the Eagles 5-4.

Cal Lutheranโ€™s No. 2 doubles of Sousa and Werman took control of the court and defeated Caitlyn Uzzi and Layla Accorsi 8-2.

โ€œWe played really well together. The other girls were really frustrated. They werenโ€™t communicating as well as Emily and I. We just have that kind of chemistry where we know when we are going to win and we are positive together,โ€ Sousa said.

Cal Lutheranโ€™s No. 3 doubles of Baker and Gold started behind Concordiaโ€™s Ulrike Hahn and Kelsey Hahn. However the Violet and Gold duoโ€™s momentum surged and they came out on top 9-7.

โ€œWe did lose our focus a little bit, but once we figured out how to get that back we started dominating, taking over the center of the court, and came out with a win because we held strong,โ€ Baker said.

The Regals No. 1 doubles of Kenny and Kubota fell to the Eagles duo of Ellie Johnson and Ivana Vlakic 8-1 making the match score 2-1 with Regals in the lead.

Singles began with the Eagles No. 1 Vlakic earning Concordiaโ€™s second match point with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Kenny.

Cal Lutheranโ€™s No. 4 Baker and No. 5 Kubota took down their opponents in singles play. Baker defeated Uzzi 6-1, 6-3 and Kubota outlasted Katherine Jensen 6-2, 6-3.

Sousa, Gold and Werman played tiebreakers. Regal players Gold and Werman fell short against the Panthers. However No. 6 Sousa was victorious 6-4, 1-6, 7-5, earning the winning point for Cal Lutheran making the match score 5-4.

Assistant coach Chad Colby said he was proud of the Regalsโ€™ aggressiveness and endurance on the court throughout the weekend.

Colby said one thing the girls will be working on in practice this week will be exposing the players to a more pressured environment.

โ€œWe need to get them under a little bit more pressure in practice. Some of the girls executed, but they still need to continue to experience that environment over and over again,โ€ Colby said.

The Violet and Gold have an overall record of 5-4 and are 1-3 in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

The Regals will return to conference play when the team faces Chapman on March 20 at the Anaheim Hills Racquet Club.

Brooke Straeter
    Published March 18th, 2015