Kingsmen Sweep Beavers on Senior Day

California Lutheran Universityโ€™s menโ€™s tennis team had a 9-0 victory over California Institute of Technology on April 18 at the Poulson Tennis Center. The sweep made for a pleasant home finale for Moises Cardenas and Andrew Slater on their senior day.

Doubels partners Moises Cardenas (right) and Jesse Knight (left) won their match 8-5 against Cal Tech.

Head coach Mike Gennette said the Kingsmen came into the match strong and everyone was enjoying themselves and having fun. Gennette said itโ€™s always a challenge to get the team to focus when they feel like their winning, and everyone did a great job.

โ€œThe match of the day was Oliver Thornton because he didnโ€™t really want to be here today. He was kind of tired, kind of distracted, and we just created a situation where we convinced him to give it everything he had,โ€ Gennette said.

Slater said the team came up pretty sharp in doubles. Slater said they were moving their feet out there, had a lot of good close outs, good overheads and good serves on the court.

โ€œI think as a team we really came together in the fact that our attitude was just good. [We had]ย  a lot of good shots out there today,โ€ Slater said. โ€œWe were pumping each other up and that always makes a big difference.โ€

Cardenas said this was hislast match at Cal Lutheran and he wanted to leave with a pretty good show.

โ€œIn the doubles we stayed aggressive. We had a game plan, just playing smart and the same going into singles,โ€ Cardenas said. โ€œI feel like my ground strokes were solid and serves, I didnโ€™t push it too hard. I wanted to focus on the ground stokes and just being aggressive.โ€

Sophomore Fergus Scott had a challenging singles match on court No. 2 but was victorious, winning 6-4, 6-2.

โ€œThe most important thing when you play tennis is firing with high intensity and we did that today, which meant that we managed to get the win,โ€ Scott said.

Rushikesh Joshi, a junior at Caltech and captain of the Beaverโ€™s tennis team, said the Beavers came out with pretty competitive matches, especially in doubles.

โ€œI think one thing we really need to focus on is just in key moments very tight points. I think we have the tendency to get a little bit reserved a little bit conservative,โ€ Joshi said. โ€œWe need to focus on staying aggressive on those points and really hitting out to believe in ourselves coming through.โ€

Cal Lutheranโ€™s next match is a tournament in Ojai next weekend.

According to Gennette, the Ojai tournament is Division III Western United States individual championship for singles and doubles. Gennette said the team has been doing a ton of conditioning so they hope to be in good shape going into the tournament.

โ€œThe biggest thing is staying in shape. Weโ€™reย  going to do a lot of running over the next week. We just got to make sure weโ€™re in shape, weโ€™re prepared and hydrated and ready to go,โ€ Slater said.

Cardenas said he worked on conditioning so much this year, even though he hated it every step of the way.

โ€œThe key thing I have to work on is staying mentally strong and conditioning. Itโ€™s four matches a day, two singles and two doubles as long as you keep on winning,โ€ Cardenas said.

Cardenas and Scott said their pre-game preparation usually involves a lot of eating. Cardenas said in the evening he likes to spoil himself with a nice cheat meal.

โ€œMe and a couple of the lads on the team, we tend to get out and get a big fatty meal before the match. So last night we got In-N-Out. Thatโ€™s been kind of a tradition,โ€ Scott said.

The Kingsmen were glad they could pull out a sweep on their final home match of the season.

Gennnette said the players are a bunch of positive and supportive young men and canโ€™t wait to compete in the Ojai tournament.

Wais Niazi
Published April 22nd, 2015