Cal Lutheran Goes Green

On April 22, two plastic jellybean racers and a multi-gooseneck floor lamp blocked the right lane of the spine. Ahead, an orange peel, a milk jug and junk mail sat between a trash can and a recycle bin.

Amanda Adams looked at Dr. Bonner's products during the sustainability fair by the spine.
Amanda Adams looked at Dr. Bonner’s products during the sustainability fair by the spine.

โ€œThis is an obstacle course,โ€ said sophomore Carlee Wood, member of the California Lutheran University Green Team. โ€œThe Environmental Obstacle Course.โ€

Wood invited passersby to race for prizes like T-shirts, reusable straws, fair trade soap and reusable coffee mugs. Contestants had to screw and unscrew an energy-efficient lightbulb and properly dispose of the trash and recyclables before reaching the next brick planter.

The race was part of Green Week, a series of events to bring studentsโ€™ attention to the issue of environmental sustainability, sponsored by the Cal Lutheran Community Service Center.

Cal Lutheran senior Alastair Moody took the challenge.

โ€œWell, it really started off with these funny-colored slug things. I think theyโ€™re environmentally-friendly slugs,โ€ Moody said.

After winning the race, Moody said heโ€™s doing his part to benefit the earth.

โ€œOne way Iโ€™m making a difference? I try not to drive anywhere. I try to walk everywhere,โ€ Moody said. โ€œIt helps that I live on campus.โ€

Junior Nicole Ahlering, Environment and Sustainability Intern with the Community Service Center, had a large hand in planning the week.

โ€œSustainability means, basically, living in a way so that our future generations have the same resources and access to things that we do,โ€ Ahlering said. โ€œIdeally it means leaving it better than when we found it.โ€

In addition to tabling in front of Starbucks, students were involved in several eco-minded events.

Tuesday, April 21 at 7 p.m., the Center for Equality and Justice hosted a screening of the documentary โ€œEyes on the Sky,โ€ in the Lundring Events Center.

In the film, critically-acclaimed movie producer Steve Nicolaides takes an in-depth look at the water crisis in the western United States, traveling to the sources of the regionโ€™s water supply and challenging viewers to consider solutions like greywater systems.

The documentary is available to watch online in full.

Vendors and organizations tabled on the spine on April 23 for the sustainability fair. Several companies known for ethical labor and manufacturing practices were present, including soap and lotion maker Dr. Bronnerโ€™s, tea company Guayakรญ, and bracelet company Pura Vida.

Melanie MacDowell, senior at California State Channel Islands, represented Food Forward, a volunteer-based organization in Los Angeles and Ventura County which gleans produce that would otherwise go to waste.

โ€œJust last week we picked over 500 pounds of chard at a farm in Oxnard,โ€ MacDowell said. โ€œIt wasnโ€™t sellable because it reached a certain growing point, and markets wonโ€™t take it.โ€

According to its website, Food Forward gathers excess produce from public and private properties, even farmers markets, to distribute to local food charities.

MacDowell encouraged college students to donate two hours on a weekend, saying the experience of serving with Food Forward taught her much about the agricultural industry and herself.

โ€œWe get to go to farms and see what actually people arenโ€™t eating,โ€ MacDowell said. โ€œJust through doing these projects Iโ€™ve realized how much I waste on an individual level.โ€

The City of Thousand Oaksโ€™ Environmental Programs also appeared, providing information about recycling and proper hazardous waste disposal.

Ahlering said a university campus is an opportune place to speak about issues of sustainability.

โ€œWeโ€™re kind of next in line to, you know, be in government offices, be in policy-making positions, things like that,โ€ Ahlering said. โ€œWe can kind of catch people before they go out into the real world.โ€

Jeff Baker