Romeo and Juliet Meets Grey’s Anatomy

California Lutheran University communication and theatre art students were given an opportunity this past semester to produce a television show. The professors behind the project, Kenneth Gardner, theatre professor, and David Grannis, film and television professor, said the goal was to produce a work environment equivalent to a career in the field of television and film.

Photo Courtesy of the Cal Lutheran theater department.

The show titled โ€œMetro Generalโ€ will hold free screenings for the public to view the completed project. Screenings are on-campus in the Preus-Brandt Forum. All four of the 30-minute episodes will play starting at 8 p.m. each night from April 30 – May 3.

Gardner described the show as a hospital-themed soap-opera spoof with two main plotlines: one first plotline is two families are against each other, where one family is good and the other family plots on world domination, the second plotline follows a hospital mercy killer.

The idea for the show began when Gardner was in grad school. He said he knew a few people who wrote a weekly stage show that resembled an improv environment. Around 10 years ago, Gardner and Grannis attempted to use the material to shoot a pilot for an acting for TV class.

Toward the beginning of the fall 2014 semester Gardner said he wanted to revisit the material on a larger scale, providing a useful experience for students.

โ€œIt worked great for our students because the material was perfect for college-age students, and I wanted to bring more TV and film experience to them,โ€ Gardner said.

Gardner and Grannis both said a vast majority of acting jobs, if you wish to get paid, are in film and television. Gardner said he wanted to create a medium for experience, and this material was perfect.

In October, Gardner got a group of five students together, from various majors, who had taken main stage productionโ€™s class, to write the script. Gardner said the diverse group of writers were one of the best groups heโ€™s ever worked with.

According to Grannis the actual set production began in January and filming was completed in April. The short amount of time was quite the undertaking.

โ€œWhen Ken initially came to me with the project, I thought, โ€˜how on earth am I going to work that into my class.โ€™ Once I committed to it, we hit the ground running,โ€ Grannis said.

Grannis turned the independent project into a class project for his beginning television course. Instead of physically going to class, students were asked to meet on-location and shoot for however long was needed. Some nights went from 5 p.m. – 1 a.m.

Two of Grannisโ€™s students, Lauren Parker and Pierre-Oliver Valette said the experience felt like they were on an actual Hollywood set.

โ€œWe saw the set when it was under construction, and to see it completely finished was incredible. It looked like I was in Hollywood,โ€ Valette said.

Valette is an exchange student from France, and found it to be a new and exciting experience.

โ€œI wonโ€™t get this opportunity in France, so to experience it now is very exciting,โ€ Valette said.

Parker said she found it to be incredibly helpful, as she hopes to pursue a career in television and film.

โ€œI had so much fun working the camera. It was tiring and Iโ€™ve never filmed like that before, but I feel I learned so much,โ€ Parker said.

Gardner said this is by far the largest project he has ever tackled at Cal Lutheran, and refers to it as โ€œthe mammoth.โ€

โ€œIt involves over 100 students, four 30-minute episodes, long hours, two original songs and almost seven months, but was a learning experience,โ€ Gardner said.

One of the most important tasks was the creation of the sets. It was filmed in Cal Lutheranโ€™s Black Box Theatre, which was turned into a sound stage by Erik Diaz. Diaz has been working as a scenic and lighting designer for Cal Lutheran for two years and found the project to be a new experience.

โ€œWhat was cool about this project was that the script was evolving, so it posed some interesting challenges as to how to conceptualize the different locations that weโ€™re going to, based on a script that has gone through several revisions,โ€ Diaz said.

The project is new to the university and a daunting task, but Gardner and Grannis said the experience was worth it, and hopes many attend the studentsโ€™ hard work on the dates of its screenings- April 30 – May 3 at 8 p.m.

Mary Callaway
Published April 29th, 2015