Sports Briefs: News From Around the Leagues

Hall of famer Moses Malone dies at 60

Moses Malone, a three-time NBA MVP and pro basketball hall of famer, was found dead in his hotel room in Norfolk, Virginia on Sept. 13. According to FoxNews.com, Malone โ€œdied in his sleep from an apparent heart attackโ€ at the age of 60.

His body was discovered when he failed to attend a celebrity golf tournament that he was supposed to participate in. Det. Jeffrey Scott of the Norfolk Police Department confirmed his death and said there was no evidence of foul play.

Malone ranks seventh all-time with his 29,580 total points. His 17,834 rebounds is third all-time and his 1,889 blocks is 23rd all-time, according to FoxNews.com. He was also the first player to turn professional directly from high school and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2001.

Eagles cut Tebow before season opener

According to USA Today, the Philadelphia Eagles released quarterback Tim Tebow as well as 21 other players from the team on Sept. 5.

According to USA Today, โ€œEagles coach Chip Kelly elected to keep two quarterbacks, Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez, but said he plans to bring on a third.โ€ Matt Barkley, the Eaglesโ€™ third-string quarterback in 2014, was traded Friday to the Arizona Cardinals.

Tebow will be back on a market that is hesitant to give him an opportunity to play, putting his playing career on hold.

โ€œWe felt Tim has progressed, but we didnโ€™t feel he was good enough to be the No. 3 right now,โ€ Kelly said.

Williams trounced in US Open semifinal

Italian Roberta Vinci shocked the No. 1 ranked Serena Williams with 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory in the US Open semifinals, according to ESPN.com. This match has been considerably named as one of the greatest upsets in history.

This was Williamsโ€™ first loss in a Grand Slam singles match this year and ended her bid for the first calendar-year Slam since 1988. Vinci ended Williamsโ€™ 2015 major streak at 26 straight matches, and going back to last yearโ€™s US Open, 33 overall, according to ESPN.com.

Williamsโ€™ record is now 18-2 after her loss in a three-set match for the second time this year.

Vinci apologized after the match saying, โ€œfor the American people, for Serena, for the Grand Slam and everything,โ€ Vinci said. โ€œBut today is my day. Sorry, guys.โ€

Dez Bryant breaks foot in season opener

All-Pro wide receiver Dez Bryant broke his right foot on Sunday night in the Cowboysโ€™ season-opening win over the New York Giants.

According to FoxNews.com, Bryant could be out at least a month from this injury. His injury will require surgery in order to repair his broken bone, which will cause him to miss four to six weeks according to owner and general manager, Jerry Jones.

Bryant also missed time in the first half of the game because of dehydration issues, according to FoxNews.com

He โ€œled the NFL with 16 receiving touchdowns last season and started the year with more touchdowns than anyone in the NFL since coming into the league in 2010,โ€ according to FoxNews.com

Police investigating Patrick Kane rape allegations

The Hamburg, New York Police Department has begun an investigation involving Chicago Blackhawks winger Patrick Kane.

The allegations claim the 26-year-old NHL star raped a woman in early August after he went to a bar with friends. Kaneโ€™s future, specifically his hockey career, is up in the air while this investigation proceeds.

Currently Kane has not been charged with any crimes and it is not known if he will be officially charged.

The alleged victim in this case was administered a rape kit at a nearby hospital. However โ€œthe results of the kit have not been made publicโ€ according to SportsIllustrated.com.

Shaleena Bautista
Published September 16th, 2015