A&E Briefs: Film, TV, Broadway and more

67th annual Emmy Awards had big wins

The 67th annual Primetime Emmy Awards were broadcasted on Sunday, Sept. 20.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Viola Davis became the first African-American actress to win an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama for her role as Annalise Keating in “How to Get Away with Murder.” Davis gave an emotional speech on the lack of opportunity for “women of color” and finished with thanking actresses Kerry Washington and Taraji P. Henson, according to the source.

“Mad Men” actor John Hamm finally won an Emmy for Lead Actor in a Drama after falling short of a win eight times, according to Entertainment Weekly.

Other highlights of the night included Amy Schumer thanking her makeup artists for her smokey eye during her acceptance speech to Tracy Morgan’s surprise appearance when he announced the final award of the night. According to Entertainment Weekly, Morgan was critically injured in a car crash in June 2014.

To see a full list of the winners, visit Entertainment Weekly online.

American Horror Story returns in Oct.

In October 2014 the FX network renewed the popular television show “American Horror Story,” according to Entertainment Weekly.

Since then, clips and casting news have dropped hints for the upcoming season, starting with Lady Gaga’s announcement of the season five theme, “Hotel,” in February, according to the news source.

Entertainment Weekly reported Lady Gaga will be running the Hotel Cortez with Matt Bomber returning as Gaga’s lover. Fan favorite Evan Peters is taking on a new role as the mass murderer and builder of the hotel, and Sarah Paulson is coming back as Hypodermic Sally, a drug addict.

Actress Jessica Lange passed on season five, according to Entertainment Weekly, to head back to broadway, but is in talks to come back if her schedule permits.

This season will connect back to the first season of “American Horror Story: Murder House,” according to the news source, and will feature the “most distrubing scene [the show] has ever done,” according to the creator Ryan Murphy.

Alesandria Posada
    Business Manager
    Published September 23rd, 2015