Sports Briefs: News from Around the League

105-year-old breaks sprinting record

According to foxnews.com, a 105-year-old Japanese man is known as the “Golden Bolt” for breaking records sprinting. Hidekichi Miyazaki’s goal is to be the fastest man in the world.

On Sept. 23 he ran a 100-meter dash in 42.22 seconds at the Kyoto Master’s Athletic Autumn Competition according to foxnews.com.

The article mentioned that Miyazaki jokingly wants to race Olympic gold medalist Usain Bolt who “clocked an all-time record 9.58-second 100 meters in 2009.”

According to foxnews.com, Miyazaki has been running since the ‘90s and his personal record is 34.10 seconds which was “set when he was 103 years old [and] remains unbeaten among centenarians.”

He credits his success and health to exercise and mindful eating.

Vick replaces injured Roethlisberger

The Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the St. Louis Rams with a 12-6 win. However this was a costly win for the Steelers as their quarterback Ben Roethlisberger injured his left knee during the third quarter.

According to ESPN.com, Roethlisberger was “carted off the field in the third quarter, and was seen leaving the locker room on crutches.”

He is expected to miss at least four weeks due to his injury but the severity of the injury has not been made public yet.

CBS reported “MRI results confirmed that there was no ACL tear and that it was an MCL sprain,” according to Yahoosports.com.

Michael Vick, the Steelers’ backup quarterback, will replace Roethlisberger.

Arizona blows out San Fransisco 47-7

The Arizona Cardinals dominated the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday. According to ESPN.com, Carson Palmer threw for 311 yards and Arizona returned two of Colin Kaepernick’s first four passes for touchdowns.

The Cardinals took down the 49ers, 47-7. This is the “largest margin of victory since a 44-0 win over Houston in 1970,” according to the article.

Four interceptions were a career-worst for Kaepernick. The Cardinals scored 24 points off these interceptions and opened an early two-game lead in the NFC West, according to the article .

“Arizona had 446 yards to 156 for the 49ers, coming off a 43-18 loss at Pittsburgh,” according to foxnews.com.

Dolphins stampeded by Buffalo Bills

According to foxnews.com, “Tight end Charles Clay outran a linebacker, juked past two defensive backs and left them all sprawling as he scored the Buffalo Bills’ first touchdown barely three minutes into the game.”

The Bills were able to total 429 yards and intercepted Ryan Tannehill three times in the first half, according to  the article.

The Buffalo Bills dominated the  Miami Dolphins 41-14 on Sunday.

Backup Bills receiver and ex-Dolphin Chris Hogan caught a 38-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter, which was the final blow to the Dolphins, foxnews.com said.

This win for the Bills however resulted in a few injuries. Receiver Sammy Watkins injured his right calf and guard John Miller had a groin injury, according to the article .

Shaleena Bautista
Published September 30th, 2015