Sports Briefs: News From Around the Leagues

Steelers release kicker Josh Scobee

The Pittsburgh Steelers are officially on their fourth kicker since the preseason after releasing Josh Scobee on Oct. 3, according to ESPN.

Scobee, who missed two crucial kicks in Thursdayโ€™s 23-20 loss to the Baltimore Ravens, will be replaced by Chris Boswell, according to the ESPN article. Boswell signed a two-year deal with the Steelers, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan. The free agent, who previously played at Rice, participated in the 2014 Senior Bowl and was cut by the Texans later in the year, according to ESPN.

ESPN suspects the Steelers walked away from Scobee without much financial burden because Jacksonville paid $925,000 via a signing bonus to facilitate the trade.

Scobee also missed two kicks in the season opener, marking 10 misfires since 2014, a league high reported ESPN.

Miller wins first game in 24 starts

ESPN reported Shelby Miller beat the Cardinals for the Bravesโ€™ first win since May 17.
Miller (6-17) ended his 24-start winless streak, holding his former Cardinals teammates to three hits through eight innings and leading the Atlanta Braves over St. Louis 6-0 on Oct. 4, according to the article.

Miller struck out seven and walked three. He had been 0-16 since winning in Miami on May 17 despite a 3.83 ERA in that span, stated ESPN.

According to ESPN, Adonis Garcia hit two homers and Andrelton Simmons added a two-run drive. Atlanta has 100 homeruns this season which is the fewest in the majors.

Spieth wins Jack Nicklaus Award

Jordan Spieth was announced by the PGA Tour as the PGA TourPlayer of the Year and Jack Nicklaus Award recipient as voted by the Tours membership for the 2014-15 season.

According to PGAtour.com, 22-year-old Spieth became the youngest PGA Tour Player of the Year since Tiger Woods won the award at the age of 21 in 1997.

Spieth, who won two major championships and the season-ending Tour Championship by Coca-Cola, became the youngest winner of the FedExCup and the youngest player since Gene Sarzazen (1922) to capture two major championships including the Valspar Championship and TOUR Championship, the article stated. In total, Spieth won five events and was just the sixth different player to win five or more times in a season on the PGA TOUR since 1980, reported PGATOUR.com.
Currently the No. 1 player in the Official World Golf Ranking, Spieth amassed a PGA Tour-record $12,030,465 to earn the Arnold Palmer Award as the leading money winner and also finished first in Adjusted Scoring Average (68.938) to earn the Byron Nelson Award (PGA Tour) and Vardon Trophy (PGA of America), according to PGA Tour.

Liverpool fires Brendan Rodgers

Liverpool was one of two English Premier League clubs to fire its manager on Oct. 4, axing Brendan Rodgers after taking just 12 points from eight games this 2015-16 season, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The announcement came in the hours following Liverpoolโ€™s 1-1 draw against crosstown rival, Everton.

โ€œLiverpool Football Club has announced that Brendan Rodgers will leave his post with immediate effect after having his contract terminated,โ€ informs the clubโ€™s official website on behalf of his departure.

Rogers, a former protรฉgรฉ of Chelsea manager Jose Mourinhoโ€™s, was appointed by Liverpool in June 2012 after guiding Swansea City to the top tier of English soccer, the article stated. Entering this season, Rodgerโ€™s three years in charge made him the second-longest tenured manager in the Premier League behind Arsenalโ€™s Arsรจne Wenger, reportedThe Wall Street Journal.
The news source says Liverpool has yet to announce a replacement, but possibilities could include two high-profile managers who are currently unattached, including Jurgen Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti.

Kristen Hansen
Published October 7th, 2015