A&E Briefs: Film, TV, Broadway and more

That’s so not Raven according to viewers

On Oct. 31, ABC released a statement in response to the petition asking “The View” remove Raven-Symoné from her co-host duties, according to E! News. In the statement, the network supported the former Disney Channel star by calling her “confident, genuine and opinionated” with “all the qualities that make her a great addition to the panel,” according to the source.

The Change.org petition was addressed to Barbara Walters and expressed the concern that Raven-Symoné did not possess an appropriate voice representative of the African American community, according to E! News, and stated: “We need strong black role models in prominent positions on television and Raven-Symoné cannot provide that.”

As of Oct. 28, more than 120,000 people have signed the petition but it is not clear as to how many of the signatures are from viewers, according to the source.

Raven-Symoné has also received backlash recently for saying she wouldn’t hire a person with a “ghetto” name, according to E! News.

Remini shares her Scientology experience

According to Entertainment Weekly, on Oct. 30, Leah Remini, best known for her role in “King of Queens” opened up about her experiences growing up in the Church of Scientology in an episode of “20/20.”

In an interview with ABC News’ Dan Harris, Remini showed Harris the required Scientology textbooks each member reads, the e-meter reading and explained the church’s “knowledge reports” that each member of the church is required to write when another member is misbehaving, according to the source.

Remini said she tried to reform the church when she felt Tom Cruise and the current leader, David Miscavige, were “bringing Scientology down,” but it was motherhood that finally convinced her to leave Scientology, Entertainment Weekly reported, because she didn’t want to take the chance of being disconnected from her daughter if she chose to leave the church in the future.

The Church of Scientology has released a statement saying it is happy that Remini is no longer part of the church, according to the source. Remini reveals more about the church practices and her time in the church in her memoir “Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology” out on Tuesday, November 3, 2015.

Alesandria Posada
    Business Manager
    Published November 4th, 2015