Sports Briefs: News From Around the Leagues

Rape charges against Kane to be dropped

Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane avoided criminal charges in a rape investigation, according to foxsports.com. These allegations put Kane in the spotlight for three months while the investigation was underway, reported the source.

According to foxsports.com, โ€œprosecutors announced Thursday they declined to file charges against Kane because of a lack of credible evidence in a case โ€˜rife with reasonable doubt.โ€™ The accuser signed an affidavit saying she did not want to press charges, prosecutors said.โ€

Kane may not be facing charges from prosecutors but it is uncertain whether or not the National Hockey League will take any action on this situation, the source reported..

According to the foxsports.com, โ€œErie Count District Attorney Frank Sedita said a three-month investigation found that physical forensic evidence โ€˜tend to contradictโ€™ the accuserโ€™s claim that she was raped on Aug. 2 at Kaneโ€™s offseason home outside Buffalo.โ€

Gators win first post-Tebow SEC title

Austin Hardinโ€™s field goal gave the Florida Gators the SEC East title after a game against the Vanderbilt Commodores.

According to espn.com, โ€œHardinโ€™s 43-yard field goal with 2:22 remaining helped the Gators (No. 10 CFP, No. 11 AP) beat pesky Vanderbilt 9-7 on [Nov. 7] and clinch a spot in Atlanta.โ€

The Gators won the Eastern Division for the first time since 2009, since Tim Tebowโ€™s senior season, according to espn.com. Their next game is in South Carolina.

According to the espn.com article, โ€œThe Commodores (3-6, 1-4 SEC) held Florida to 258 yards, including 57 in the second half. But the Gators (8-1, 6-1) did just enough on their next-to-last possession to set up Hardinโ€™s winning kick.โ€

Keselowski wins XFINITY Series race

Brad Keselowski came out on top in the Oโ€™Reilly Auto Parts Challenge XFINITY Series race at the Texas Motor Speedway Oct 7.

According to foxsports.com, he took โ€œadvantage of some misfortunes suffered by other top contenders.โ€

Kevin Harvick finished second with Austin Dillon and Erik Jones following him. This is Keselowskiโ€™s second series win of the season in the No. 22 Team Penske Ford, according to the source.

โ€œKyle Larson was leading the race, but had been battling a left-front tire rub when the tire suddenly went down and blew apart on lap 176, sending Larson spinning in his No. 42 Chevrolet and ending his day,โ€ according to foxsports.com.

Shaleena Bautista
    Published November 11th, 2015