News Briefs: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

U.S. airstrike in Libya kills ISIS leader

The United States military killed the senior leader of ISIS in Libya with an airstrike on Nov. 13.

According to an article on cnn.com, โ€œAbu Nabil, an Iraqi national and longtime al Qaeda operative, was taken out in an airstrike authorized and initiated prior to the terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday night,โ€ Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said.

Nabil was also known as Wissam Najm Abd Zayd al Zubaydi. According to CNN, he may have been the terror group spokesman who was in a video released by ISIS in February showing an execution on a beach.

The article also stated, โ€œNabilโ€™s death will degrade ISISโ€™s ability to recruit new members in Libya, establish bases in the country, and plan external attacks on the United States.โ€

Woman wears strainer in license photo

A woman in Boston, Massachusetts was able to wear a spaghetti strainer on her head in her driverโ€™s license photo after she told the agency about her religious beliefs, according to an article on foxnews.com. Lindsay Miller belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and is a Pastafarian, stated the article.

According to the article, โ€œLowell resident Lindsay Miller said Friday that she โ€˜absolutely loves the history and the storyโ€™ of Pastafarians, whose website says has existed in secrecy for hundreds of years and entered the mainstream in 2005. Miller says wearing the spaghetti strainer allows her to express her beliefs like other religions are allowed to.โ€

The Registry of Motor Vehicles policy states that head coverings or hats on license photos are not permitted with the exception of religious purposes.

U.S. spy will be released from prison

Jonathan Pollard is a Navy intelligence analyst who is a convicted United States spy. He was arrested in 1985 for selling secrets to Israel and is expected to be released from federal prison sometime this week, according to foxnews.com.

According to the article, โ€œPollard, 61, had been serving a life sentence, but was granted parole this year under sentencing rules in place at the time of his prosecution that made him presumptively eligible for release this month.โ€

Pollardโ€™s release is scheduled forย  Nov. 20 and under the conditions of his release he must live in the U.S. for five years, according to the article.

Shaleena Bautista
    Published November 18th, 2015