Sports Briefs: News From Around the Leagues

Samardzija, Greinke, sign with new teams

The San Francisco Giants announced on Dec. 5 they signed with free-agent right-hander Jeff Samardzija to a five-year contract.

According to foxsports.com, “the deal is reportedly worth $90 million.” Samardzija is 30 years old and “went 11-13 with a 4.96 ERA in 32 starts for the Chicago White Sox in 2015. He struck out 163 batters in 214 innings.”

Free-agent Zack Greinke agreed to a six-year contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks on Dec. 4. That deal was worth $206 million, according to the Fox Sports article.

According to espn.com, “The 30-year-old right-hander chose the Giants over the Dodgers and the Cardinals, a source told [ESPN’s Jerry] Crasnick.”

McGregor vs. Aldo set for Dec. 12

UFC Connor McGregor will fight 145-pound titleholder Jose Aldo at UFC 194 on Dec. 12 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

“I will K-O Jose Aldo and I will face the winner of the lightweight belt, which takes place a week after, and then I will fight for that. So within the next few fights, I will be a two-weight world champion,” McGregor said on a UFC 194 media conference call, according to yahoosports.com

When McGregor fought for U.K.-based fight promotion Cage Warriors Fighting Championship, he held both the featherweight and lightweight belts at the same time.

According to the article on yahoosports.com, “even should he defeat Aldo, depending on how the fight goes, McGregor might not have any other choice but to give the current champion an immediate rematch.”

Rapinoe tears ACL in training session

Megan Rapinoe, a 30-year-old World Cup champion, injured her right knee with a torn anterior cruciate ligament at the United States Women’s National Team training.

According to Fox Sports, “Rapinoe suffered the non-contact injury ahead of Sunday’s clash against Trinidad and Tobago. The 2015 FIFA World Cup hero will return to Seattle for surgery after an MRI scan confirmed the injury.”

Rapinoe was named to the FIFA All-Star team this past summer. According to foxsports.com, “Rapinoe, who scored 31 goals in 113 appearances for the United States, has torn her ACL in her right knee twice in college and will now face a fitness race to return in time for the 2016 Summer Olympics at Rio de Janeiro.”

Shaleena Bautista
    Published December 9th, 2015