News Briefs: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

Missing hikers found in Sycamore Canyon

A Ventura hiker and his 5-year-old son were found safe on the morning of Feb. 7 after they were reported missing on Feb. 6 in theย  afternoon.

Patrick Gardner, 35, and his son, Matthew Gardner, were hiking in the Sycamore Canyon area when they became lost sometime after sunset and found refuge in an unoccupied dwelling east of the Sycamore Canyon Campground. They were located at around 9 a.m. Feb. 9, officials said.

Sheriffโ€™s officials said Gardner and his son were found in good condition. The Ventura County Search & Rescue, Ventura County Mounted Unit and Air Unit were all part of the search efforts.

Chipotle closes for food safety meeting

All Chipotle restaurants across the nation closed for four hours on Feb. 8 to hold a company-wide staff meeting about food safety following the E. coli outbreak last year.

The meeting went over the improved โ€œfarm-to-forkโ€ safety program, which the chain implemented in January. According to CNN, the program includes paid sick leave to make sure employees will stay home when theyโ€™re sick, DNA-based testing of ingredients before theyโ€™re shipped to restaurants and some changes in food preparation protocols.

The meeting took place at the chainโ€™s headquarters in Denver and was broadcasted nationwide.

The Centers for Disease Control announced on Feb. 1 that the E. coli outbreak โ€œappears to be over.โ€

Ellinor Rundhovde
    Published February 10th, 2016