Sports Briefs: News From Around the Leagues

It’s a Von-derful life for the Broncos

The Denver Broncos won 24-10 against the Carolina Panthers on Feb. 7 at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California as stated by ESPN and Bleacher Report. This is the Broncos eighth visit to the Super Bowl and their third win.

Although Bronco’s quarterback Peyton Manning controlled the offense and allowed the defense enough room to stomp the Panthers, outside linebacker Von Miller was named MVP.

Miller stripped the ball from Cam Newton allowing  Malik Jackson to recover and score the first touchdown of the game.

According to the Bleacher Report website, Miller finished with “2.5 sacks, six total tackles, two quarterback hits, a defended pass and two crucial strips of Panthers quarterback Newton.”

Broncos had a 10-0 lead from the beginning because of Miller’s first hit on Newton.

Blake Griffin to undergo hand surgery

Sources told ESPN that Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin had to undergo a second surgery on his right hand.

Griffin already had a previous surgery due to a spiral fracture on a metacarpal. The injury came from an altercation on Jan. 23 with Matias Testi, the Clippers equipment manager. Griffin punched Testi in the face while in Toronto.

Griffin’s first timeframe for recovery was four to six weeks. That predicted recovery time still remains after the second surgery. Since the recovery time is still the same, this surgery is not considered a setback.

The altercation is still under investigation and Griffin’s punishment has not been decided.

BMX star Dave Mirra dies at 41

According to the Bleacher Report Website, the death of BMX legend Dave Mirra on Feb. 4.

Authorities in Greenville, North Carolina noted a self-inflicted gunshot wound as the cause of death, although the investigation is still underway.

Mirra held the second most medals in X Games history. Mirra held 24 medals behind skateboarder Bob Burnquist, who holds 27.

Mirra retired from competitive BMX and began a career in rally-racing with Subaru.

Aside from action sports, Mirra lent his name to a video game series and hosted a reality series on MTV. 

Mirra is survivied by his two daughters, Madison and Mackenzie, as well as his wife Lauren.

Megan Blackburn
    Published February 10th, 2016