A&E Briefs: Film, TV, Broadway and more

Ke$haโ€™s request for injunction is denied

On Feb. 19, pop artist Ke$ha was denied release from her contract with her producer who she claims abused her for over a decade, the New York Daily News reported.

According to the Washington Post, the artist broke down sobbing in court after New York Supreme Court Justice Shirley Kornreich denied Ke$haโ€™s request for a preliminary injunction in the case. This would have enabled her to produce music outside of her contract until the case is finalized.

Ke$ha has not released music since โ€œTimber,โ€ a song she recorded with Pitbull in 2013.

โ€˜To Kill a Mockingbirdโ€™ author passes away

Harper Lee, the author of โ€œTo Kill A Mocking Bird,โ€ died Feb. 19. According to the New York Times, the author passed away in her home in Monroeville, Alabama.

According to CNN, Leeโ€™s family said in a statement โ€œMs. Lee passed away in her sleep early this morning. Her passing was unexpected. She remained in good basic health until her passing. The family is in mourning and there will be a private funeral service in the upcoming days, as she had requested.โ€

โ€œTo Kill A Mockingbirdโ€ was one of two novels Harper Lee wrote. The second, โ€œGo Set A Watchman,โ€ was released in 2015.

Bill Cosby files lawsuit against an accuser

According to CNN, Bill Cosby has sued one of the women who have accused him of sexual assault.

Andrea Constandโ€™s sexual assault accusations formed the basis for recent charges against the stand-up comedian, actor and author. According to TV Guide, Cosby has filed a breach-of-contract lawsuit against her, claiming that she broke a confidentiality agreement they negotiated.

The confidentiality agreement was negotiated as part of a civil suit Constand filed in 2005, after authorities did not prosecute Cosby for allegedly sexually assaulting her, TV Guide writes Feb. 19.

Ellinor Rundhovde
    Published February 24th, 2016