Sports Briefs: News From Around the Leagues

Bubba Watson wins Northern Trust Open

Golfer Bubba Watson won his second Northern Trust Open on Feb. 21, which took place in the Pacific Palisades.

Watsonโ€™s week didnโ€™t start off smoothly though. According to ESPN, Watson passed a kidney stone Feb. 15, before the tournament began. He underwent a CAT scan but soon passed the stone with no thoughts of withdrawing from the open.

According to The LA Times, Watson and his family had a very busy week which included hanging out with Justin Bieber, filming for a cameo in โ€œGirl Meets Worldโ€ and receiving a text from Golden State Warriorsโ€™ Steph Curry giving his son some shooting tips.

โ€œThe highlight is definitely winning,โ€ Watson said. โ€œWhen you come to Hollywood, thereโ€™s a lot of things you can do. Itโ€™s fun. And winning is the cake.โ€

Los Angeles Rams release veteran players

The Los Angeles Rams have released James Laurinaitis, Chris Long and Jared Cook as of Feb. 19.

According to the Rams website, Laurinaitis was drafted second round in 2009 by the St. Louis Rams. He quickly became one of the greatest tacklers in the league, leading the team in tackles in his first four seasons and passing Merlin Olsen, 14-time Pro Bowler, becoming the all-time leading tackler in franchise history.

Long was drafted second overall in 2008 by the Rams and led the team in sacks in the 2011 and 2012 seasons. After spending four seasons with the Titans, Cook joined the Rams in 2013 and set franchise records for most receiving yards by a tight end in a single season and a single game, the Rams website reported.

โ€œThis is the time of year when all NFL teams are faced with difficult decisions regarding their veteran players,โ€ Head Coach Jeff Fisher said.

Argentinian referee fatally shot by player

An amateur referee was fatally shot three times by a player who was shown a red card, according to reports in Argentina.

As of Feb. 17, police in Cordoba were still looking for the man who shot the referee. Local reports from witnesses claim the player retrieved a gun from his bag after being shown a red card by 48-year-old Cesar Flores and proceeded to fire.

Flores was allegedly shot in the head, cheek and neck. Another player, Walter Zarate, was injured but is currently in recovery, NBC Sports reported.

Justine Goodiel
    Published February 24th, 2016