Meet the 2016-2017 ASCLU Executive Cabinet

2016-2017 ASCLU President Daniel Lacey. Photo courtesy of Daniel Lacey
    2016-2017 ASCLU President Daniel Lacey.
    Photo courtesy of Daniel Lacey

2016-2017 ASCLUG Programs Board Director Andres Elvira. Photo courtesy of Andres Elvira
    2016-2017 ASCLUG Programs Board Director Andres Elvira.
    Photo courtesy of Andres Elvira

2016-2017 ASCLU Senate Director Brittney Martinez. Photo courtesy of Brittney Martinez
    2016-2017 ASCLU Senate Director Brittney Martinez.
    Photo courtesy of Brittney Martinez

The ASCLU Executive Cabinet Elections for the upcoming 2016-2017 school year were Feb. 23 and the votes are in.

After the campaigns started on Feb. 17, the positions have been filled and the California Lutheran University student body has a new Executive Cabinet in office.

Current Associated Students of California Lutheran Senate Director Daniel Lacey has been elected ASCLU President.

Lacey is a junior and has been a part ofย  ASCLU all three years at Cal Lutheran. Along with his current position in government, Lacey served as the ASCLU Senator his freshman and sophomore years and has also been a peer adviser for the past two years.

During his time as ASCLU President Lacey plans to live by three words, โ€œListen, speak, act.โ€ Lacey said these are three things he has followed during his time in student government.

โ€œI want to listen to every individuals input and to student matters on campus. I want to hear what they have to say. Not just hear, but I want to understand what they have to say,โ€ Lacey said.

By listening, Lacey wants to listen to every student voice on campus, not just his friends.

โ€œI donโ€™t mean listen to the people I talk to everyday but outreach to the people who go from their room to class and back and that is all,โ€ Lacey said.

Lacey said he wants to spend his time as president focusing on getting more students involved in on-campus activities.

Along with speaking on behalf of the entire student body, Lacey plans to use his time to make a change to the Cal Lutheran community.

โ€œThe third part is act. Bring about change as much as possible, whether it is through Programs Board or Senate. How can the things I listen to, the things I speak about how can I act upon it within government?โ€ Lacey said.

Lacey said he hopes to accomplish these goals by creating a more unified government where students can go to ask questions.

โ€œNext year I hope to bring about a more informed ASCLUG on campus, a place where students feel comfortable coming to ask questions about big topics, a place where students feel welcomed to share their voice,โ€ Lacey said.

Lacey said he is looking forward to serving as president and โ€œcreating a great team dynamic that embodies all students on campus, that wants to listen to all students, that wants to advocate forย  every student on campus.โ€

Current Programs Board committee chair and sophomore Andres Elvira was elected as ASCLU Programs Board director.

Elvira also has experience working in Undergraduate Admissions, Alumni Relations, Student Life and currently works as a Presidential Host, also known as a tour guide.

โ€œAs Programs Board director, I will be advising my very own board and providing resources for the students that will be planning the events on our campus,โ€ Elvira said in an email interview.

In his new position, Elvira will be taking a step back from being a representative and instead will be working backstage.

โ€œInstead of being an actual representative, I instead will be taking a step back and letting things happen on their own,โ€ Elvira said.

Elvira will now be providing advice, resources and suggestions to other members of the Programs Board committee and will have no say in what programs actually go on.

โ€œWith the Article 12 [increase in student fees] that just recently passed, we should have enough funding to have both a Spring Concert and Spring Formal,โ€ Elvira said.

Along with mentoring his peers and delegating the ASCLU Programs Board, Elvira is looking forward to personal growth as well.

โ€œIn regards to what I hope to gain out of this position, I am looking forward to stepping out of my comfort zone by taking on a bigger responsibility,โ€ Elvira said.

Current ASCLU Senate member Brittney Martinez has been elected ASCLU Senate director.

Martinez has been on ASCLU Senate since her first semester at Cal Lutheran and served as the committee chair both semesters this year. Martinez also took on the role of being a peer adviser this year.

As committee chair, Martinez helped her fellow committee members with their projects and also put on her own project, Take Back the Night.

โ€œAs senate director I hope to continue to bridge the gap between the student body and the administration, serve as an advocate for students along with the both boards and promote social awareness and student growth,โ€ Martinez said in an email interview.

Martinez said she is looking forward to serving the Cal Lutheran community in her new role.

โ€œI am incredibly excited to serve the Cal Lutheran community in my new role,โ€ Martinez said.

Lydia Snodderly
    Published March 2nd, 2016