Latest Posts

News Briefs: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

Simi Valleyโ€™s Iceoplex grantโ€™s boys wish

A young Camarillo boy battling brain cancer was given the chance to ride a Zamboni on the ice during the California state playoffs March 13.

Dylan, 3-years-old , was diagnosed at 13-months-old and has tumors on his brain which affects his vision, The Ventura County Star reported.

According to Dylanโ€™s mother, Katie Wolfe, the young boy loves vacuum cleaners and Zambonis.

โ€œHe is in love with vacuums โ€” I have no idea how it started,โ€ Wolfe said. โ€œWeโ€™ve got four or five at our house and heโ€™s got names for all of them.โ€

According to the Ventura County Star, Dylan got to make an honorary puck drop and name the Zamboni he rode. He chose the name โ€œFiveโ€ because itโ€™s the fifth Zamboni at the Iceoplex.

7-Eleven customer shoots attacker

A Seattle 7-Eleven customer shot and killed a masked attacker who went after him and the store clerk the morning of March 13.

The attacker was carrying a hatchet and has not yet been identified, CNN reported.

โ€œThe suspect did not make any statements but swung the hatchet at the customer and then went behind the counter and attacked the clerk,โ€ the sheriffโ€™s office said.

According to CNN, the 60-year-old customer had a concealed gun license and was not injured. The store clerk had a minor injury on his stomach from the attack.

Protestors cause Trump to cancel rally

Presidential hopeful Donald Trump cancelled his rally in Chicagoย  March 11 after fights broke out between his supporters and protesters.

โ€œMr. Trump just arrived in Chicago and after meeting with law enforcement has determined that for the safety of all of the tens of thousands of people that have gathered in and around the arena, tonightโ€™s rally will be postponed to another date,โ€ Trumpโ€™s campaign said in a statement.

According to the Chicago Tribune, at least 12 people were kicked out and five were arrested by Chicago police, but police were not consulted about canceling the event.

This is the first time one of Trumpโ€™s rallies has been canceled due to an organized protest, Time reported.

Car bomb explosion in Turkey kills 34

A car bomb explosion in the capital of Turkey targeted a bus stop and left 34 dead and over 100 injured.

Mehmet Muezzinoglu, health minister, said 30 died on the scene and the other 4 died in hospitals. Nineteen of the injured civilians are in serious condition, ABC News reported.

โ€œOur thoughts and prayers go out to those killed and injured as well as to their loved ones,โ€ Ned Price, United States National Security Council spokesman, said. โ€œThis horrific act is only the most recent of many terrorist attacks perpetrated against the Turkish people. The United States stands together with Turkey, a NATO Ally and valued partner, as we confront the scourge of terrorism.โ€

Gunmen attack three Ivory Coast hotels

Three hotels were attacked by gunmen on March 13 in Grand-Bassam, Ivory Coast, leaving 16 dead.

According to CNN, Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb took responsibility for the shootings in a statement made on a social media account that has been connected to the group.

The identities of the gunmen were unknown at first, but six of the attackers are dead. Two soldiers and 14 civilians were killed, CNN reported.

No U.S. citizens were harmed, but French President Francois Hollande pledged support, as one citizen of France was killed.

Justine Goodiel
    Published March 16th, 2016