Sports Briefs: News From Around the Leagues

Bryant honored with own day from Nike

Bleacher Report stated Kobe Bryant will be honored by Nike with his own day.

Darren Rovell, of ESPN, said โ€œMamba Dayโ€ will be April 13, the day Kobe plays in his final game against the Utah Jazz. The teams will pay tribute to Bryant by wearing black and gold Nike shoes.

According to Bleacher Report, the Lakers are last in the Western Conference by being 16-62. Bryant is the leading scorer with 16.8 points per game but his 37-year-old body is covered in bumps and bruises.

Bryant is an 18-time All-Star and โ€œwill undoubtedly be remembered as one of the greatest champions in NBA history,โ€ according to Bleacher Report.

Former Pro-Bowler Will Smith killed

Bleacher Report reported that 34-year-old Will Smith, former New Orleans Saints defensive end, was shot in New Orleans April 9.

Bleacher Report released a detailed police account of what happened.

Smithโ€™s car was hit from behind which caused his car to strike the car in front of him. After the three car collision, Smith and the driver of the car who hit him exchanged words, then the driver pulled out a hand gun and shot Smith multiple times. The shooter also shot Smithโ€™s 34-year-old wife twice. She was transported to a hospital and Smith was pronounced dead at the scene.

Two men are in custody and one man admitted to shooting. Cardell Hayes has been booked on second degree murder according to Katherine Terrell of New Orleans Advocate.

Sauerbrunn open to boycotting Olympics

According to Bleacher Report, Becky Sauerbrunn on the U.S. womenโ€™s national soccer team, said if the ongoing dispute for unfair wages is still going, she wonโ€™t rule out boycotting the 2016 Olympics.

Bleacher Report stated, โ€œPer Michael McCann of Sports Illustrated, the USWNT filed a discrimination suit against U.S. Soccer in March, stating its players are entitled to the same wages as the menโ€™s team, as theyโ€™ve had more recent success on the pitch and generate greater revenue.โ€

Five players filed the suit including Carli Lloyd, Alex Morgan, Hope Solo, Megan Rapinoe and Becky Sauerbrunn. The suit alleged the women are paid four time less than men.

Megan Blackburn