Softball earns key sweep of Panthers

After two losses to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps in a doubleheader on April 15, the Regals softball team rebounded and had a successful two games against Chapman the next day, sweeping the Panthers by scores of 4-3 and 3-2.

“We’ve definitely been doing the same things that we always do, we don’t like to change our approach based on who’s over there. We like to make sure we play our game and that we play to the best of our capabilities,” Assistant Coach Sam Fischer said.

Chapman immediately took the lead within the first inning with a run before the Regals came up to bat.

Senior infielder Blake Lewis led off the bottom half of the second inning with a walk and advanced to second base off a hit by senior outfielder Andrea Brackpool.

The bases were loaded after a bunt by sophomore infielder Olivia Leyva was fumbled by Chapman’s first baseman.

Junior pitcher Courtney Sooy was able to hit a sacrifice fly to the left to allow Lewis to come in for the Regals first run of the game, tying the score.

The Panthers threatened in the third inning with runners on second and third, but Sooy was able to work out of trouble with a strikeout and a solid catch by senior outfielder Hannah Brown to end the third inning.

With the Regals up to bat at the bottom of the fourth, the bases were loaded. Brown was able to get a hit and had two RBIs, giving the Regals a 3-1 lead.

Sooy finished the seventh inning with a bases loaded, no out situation allowing only two runs for a final of 4-3, securing the first victory for the Regals.

“We felt pretty neutral coming into the games yesterday. CMS is a great team, so we knew coming into yesterday that we needed to win in order to stay in the running to make it to the post season tournament,” Blake Lewis said in an email interview.

The Regals looked to carry the momentum from the first win into the second game.

“The first win definitely gave us that boost of confidence we needed. Chapman is a team we knew we could beat and winning the first helped our mindset the second game.  Our pitchers both had amazing outings against Chapman and kept our team spirit high,” senior catcher Taylor Beacham said in an email interview.

Brown and sophomore infielder Jacy Watanabe led off the first inning with Brown getting on first and then stealing second base. Watanabe followed with a single and stolen base of her own, putting runners on second and third for the middle of the Regals lineup.

Cal Lutheran’s big hitters came through and both Brown and Watanabe were able to score runs on RBIs provided by Amanda Lewis and Blake Lewis.

Chapman was able to tie the game heading into the sixth inning, however the Regals were able to answer back.

Sooy was able to score courtesy of junior infielder Monique Ramirez edging Cal Lutheran into the lead at 3-2 heading into the final frame.

“We’re feeling good, we just have to keep playing the way we know we can play. Everybody is working together and we have had a lot of different moving parts and everybody participated in the win. As long as we keep playing as a team then I think we’re going to be good,” Fischer said.

The Regals were able to secure both victories against the Chapman Panthers and were able to lock down fourth place in Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. Next week they will be facing Pomona for an away doubleheader and Occidental at home, both crucial matchups to determine if the Regals will return to the SCIAC Postseason Tournament for the second straight year.

“Looking at the upcoming games, we feel very confident.  We moved into fourth place after beating Chapman and need to keep this streak going to stay in position for the post season tournament,” Beacham said. “As a senior, it’s really exciting seeing all the potential this team has. I’ve had a great four years here and I wouldn’t want to go through this journey and make it to post-season with any other team.”

Connor McKinney
    Published April 20th, 2016